The Office of Student Inclusion and Diversity (OSID) values the opportunity to celebrate and showcase UNC Pembroke’s rich diversity and support the academic achievement of our students. Consequently, OSID instituted the Lavender Graduation during the fall of 2020 to recognize graduates who self-identify as LGBTQIA+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender, Queer or Questioning, Intersex, Asexual or Aromantic, and other sexuality and gender identities).
Lavender graduations are held annually throughout the United States. The first such graduation was held in 1995 when Dr. Ronni Sanlo, a Jewish Lesbian, created the original ceremony at the University of Michigan with three graduates. Since then, more than 175 universities have held Lavender graduation ceremonies.
The Lavender Graduation will be held Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 6:30 p.m in the University Center Annex.
Register to Participate
Congratulations on your graduation! Please complete the following form to RSVP to participate in the Lavender Graduation.
- The deadline to RSVP is Friday, April 8, 2022, at 5 p.m.
- During the ceremony, each graduate will be highlighted with a slide that includes the graduate’s name, pronouns, degree, optional photo, and an optional quote or statement about the graduate (photo and statement will be provided by the graduate).
- Each graduate will have the option to share remarks (no more than two minutes or 200 words in length).
- Each graduate who RSVPs, whether participating in the ceremony or not, will receive a lavender cord that can be picked up in the Office of Student Inclusion and Diversity in Old Main 124, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. You must RSVP to reserve a cord, even if you do not plan to participate in the ceremony.
- If you need an accommodation to access the program and/or program materials, please contact Lisa Bullard at firstname.lastname@example.org or 910.521.6508 no later than Friday, April 8, 2022. However, a good faith effort will be made for any request made after the deadline.