The Education Sector Virtual Career Fair allows students to network with and learn from recruiters about various K-12 opportunities.
Please continue exploring this page to learn who will be attending and how to prepare in order to get the most from the event as possible.
Prepare Your Resume
- Create or update your resume. Use the UNCP Resume Guide that teaches you step-by-step how to build a resume and the UNCP Resume Outline which is a totally customizable document that assists with formatting and structure of a resume.
- Schedule an appointment with a career counselor using Handshake or visit the Career Center during drop-in hours Monday through Friday from 1:30 PM to 4 PM to have your resume reviewed and critiqued.
- Bring 10+ printed copies to the fair to give to employers.
- Dress in business professional attire, or as close to this as you can get.
- Be conservative with cologne, perfume, and cosmetics.
- Carry a folder or padfolio with your materials to keep them neat and to collect business cards or informational packets recruiters may provide.
- Turn off your cell phone.
- Spit out your gum.
Do Your Homework
- Review the list of employers attending the fair below.
- Look on Handshake for postings for the organizations that will be in attendance to preview job descriptions; if there aren’t any listed, check the company website for opportunities. This will help you prepare for the conversations you will have with recruiters.
- Consider these questions:
- What are the staffing needs of __________ at this time?
- What are the characteristics of an ideal candidate?
- Inappropriate questions to avoid:
- What jobs are you offering?
- What is the salary for this position?
- What benefits do you offer?
- Prepare and practice your elevator pitch. The pitch allows you to introduce yourself at a career fair or networking event with employers. You want to practice so it sounds natural!
- Be confident and turn on your video camera to make a GREAT first impression.
- Show enthusiasm!
- Collect recruiters email information and set up a 1 on 1 video conference via your WebEx account.
- Send a thank you email within 24 hours.