The Resident Advisor Recruitment and Selection Period is now open!
Being a Resident Advisor (RA) can be one of the most enriching and rewarding experiences of your college career. The relationships you develop and the leadership training and experience you gain will serve you long beyond the time that you are a staff member with UNCP Housing and Residence Life. However, the RA position is also very challenging and can be hard to balance. We encourage applicants to familiarize themselves with the responsibilities and expectations of being an RA before applying. You can do this by reading the job description, attending information sessions and talking to your RA or other University Housing staff members. These contacts will help you decide if the position is right for you and can help you with being prepared for the interview process.
We are looking for enthusiastic, outgoing, and passionate individuals who are willing to work with the always growing diversity of students who live within our residential communities. In addition, we are seeking individuals with an active interest in helping enhance the quality of life for students through community building, programming, mentoring, support and being an overall great role model.
(All activities listed below are REQUIRED for applicants to be considered for hire.)
STEP 1: Sign-in to Handshake, the University’s online student employment portal. If you are not already registered, you will be prompted to create an account.
• NOTE: Applications are open until Sunday, October 6 @ 11:55pm. Applicants who have not registered through Handshake will not be considered for employment.
STEP 3: Attend 1 of 2 (REQUIRED) information sessions
- Sunday, September 22 @ 7:00 pm. Location: Belk Hall, room 203
- Sunday, September 29 @ 7:00 pm. Location: Belk Hall, room 203
- Interviews for selected applicants will be held October 7 thru October 11.
- Notifications will be made the week of October 14.
- Handshake, managed by UNCP’s Career Center, is the online portal for all student employment at UNCP. Students must first register through Handshake before applying for any on-campus student employment.
1. Using your Bravemail credentials, set up a Handshake account/profile and/or then LOG IN.
2. Search Resident Advisor for Housing and Residence Life position and FILL in information on the form.
3. Click on the link below the form labeled ONLINE APPLICATION ADDRESS; this will return you to this website.
Desk Clerk: View Job Description and Online Application
DESK CLERK POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Office of Housing and Residence Life has 4 Residence Halls with front desks in their lobby areas that must remain covered throughout the day (Belk, Cypress, Oak and Pine Halls). All of these halls are open 9 months a year. Student employees are hired, as needed, throughout the year. Clerks must received college work-study and may be hired to work from 10-15 hours per week, depending on hall needs and clerk availability. All applicants are required to be enrolled in a degree-seeking program at the UNCP and are subject to all student employment policies and procedures.
The Desk Clerk position will monitor the reception area and lobby to deter unauthorized access to the facility providing additional security and will be responsible for the implementation of the sign in/sign out policy (where applicable) as outlined by the University’s Visitation Policy for on campus residential living. In addition, responsibilities include providing clerical assistance and support to the professional staff of the residential facility as needed.
This job is only available to students who have been approved for Work Study.
- Provide quality customer service to residents, parents, alumni, conference guests, staff, and any other members of the campus community.
- Provide appropriate referrals to resources and information through various communication methods, such as email, phone, website, and interpersonal interaction.
- Maintain accurate records within information databases, journals, or logs.
- Monitor building security as it relates to resident access cards, keys, and entry/exit points.
- Notify appropriate personnel of any emergencies or urgent situations. Assist staff during emergencies if requested.
- Maintain appropriate communication with the Community Director / Resident Advisor(s) on Duty regarding emergencies or urgent situations that may occur throughout the day.
- Observe professional policies and expectations as outlined in the Employment Agreement.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Attend regularly scheduled mandatory staff meetings.
- Work shifts scheduled during, weekends, finals weeks, university breaks, and on designated holidays.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
- Must have legible handwriting, good diction and good record keeping skills.
- Be knowledgeable of all visitation policies and adhere to University and Housing policies.
- Must have excellent customer service skills and a neat appearance
- Must be able to work some weekends.
- Must be in good academic and conduct standing with the University and enrolled as a full-time student.
- Must have proper judgment and excellent problem-solving skills when working with customer complaints or addressing emergency situations.
- Experience living in a residential hall setting on a college campus preferred.
The University of North Carolina at Pembroke is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.