Important Notes About Check-Out
- All roommates must thoroughly clean the room, including any common areas (bathrooms, living rooms, kitchens, etc.). Follow the checklist below in order to minimize the charges. Your room/suite/apartment must be in the same CLEAN condition as it was when you moved in. If it is not is not clean you will be assessed a cleaning charge!
- Unless one resident accepts responsibility, damage and cleaning charges will be divided among all occupants. All shared spaces (living rooms, bathrooms, kitchens, etc.) are the responsibility of ALL the residents assigned to the suite or apartment. If these shared common spaces are not left in a CLEAN condition, damage and cleaning charges will be assessed and divided among all occupants. Please communicate with your roommate(s) NOW concerning any pending damages. Decide on responsibility now, or be present at the checkout of your roommates.
- Keys are to be returned upon check-out. Failure to return your key will result in a charge to re-key the lock on the doors of the room/suite/apartment.
- Graduates are required to vacate their housing assignment no later than 3:00pm on the day of commencement!
- Begin discarding some unwanted items you have accumulated throughout the year. For convenience and safety of others, keep all debris and belongings out of any common area (hallways, living rooms, kitchens, etc.).
- Recycle bins for clothing will be available in the hall lobbies/community buildings during Exam Week.
- Containers for electronics; single stream containers for paper, cans, glass, and cardboard; and dumpsters for unusable and damaged items will be outside near all residential communities during Exam Week.
Remember: All shared spaces (living rooms, bathrooms, kitchens, etc.) are the responsibility of ALL the residents assigned to the suite or apartment. If these shared common spaces are not left in a CLEAN condition, damage and cleaning charges will be assessed and divided among all occupants.
Checklist for Check Out/Room Cleaning:
This checklist is provided to make your checkout as smooth as possible. Following this list may help you avoid unnecessary charges for cleaning and damages. Please note the information and procedures listed below. Note that failure to follow the procedures below may result in additional charges.
Make sure you do the following:
- Remove all personal items/belongings (ANY ITEMS LEFT BEHIND WILL BE DISPOSED OF AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BE RETRIEVED)
- Remove all trash from your room and take it outside to the dumpsters. DO NOT leave trash in the buildings!
- Put items you don’t want in the donation bin. They are located at the main entrance of the residence halls and in the clubhouse at Courtyard Apartments.
- Close window blinds and lock windows.
- Defrost and clean refrigerator (unplug a day before leaving to allow time for ice to melt. Clean-up water. Remove all food and perishables. Leave the refrigerator doors OPEN to prevent mildew.)
- Sweep and clean-up any grime/spills/dirty spots on your floor. Remove any carpet you put in the room.
- Enter Work Orders into the online system for maintenance concerns. Let your RA know you put in a work order when you check-out.
- Remove all mail from your mailbox and pick-up any packages
You will have to turn in your room keys at check-out. If you do not have your assigned room keys, you will be charged the re-core fee.
If you do not schedule a check-out appointment, neglect to check-out properly, don’t remove your belongings, or leave your room dirty, you may be charged an improper check-out fee and/or cleaning fees.
Housing and Residence Life staff will enter all rooms after we close. The purpose of this is to conduct a more thorough inspection. You may be charged for any damages discovered in your room that was overlooked during your RA check-out. Make sure you help your RA conduct a thorough check-out prior to leaving.
Scheduling a Check-Out Appointment:
Click here to schedule an appointment for Courtyard Apartments
Click here to schedule an appointment for Cypress Hall
Click here to schedule an appointment for North Hall
Click here to schedule an appointment for Oak Hall
Click here to schedule an appointment for Pine Hall
If you have any questions or would like to find out exactly what you are responsible for in your room, suite, or apartment, please contact your RA or Community Director!