Important Notes About Check-Out
- All roommates must thoroughly clean the room. Follow the checklist below in order to minimize the charges. Your room must be in the same CLEAN condition as it was when you moved in. If your room is not clean you will be assessed a cleaning charge!
- Begin discarding some unwanted items you have accumulated throughout the year. For convenience and safety of others, keep all debris and belongings out of the hallways and suite lounges.
- Recycle bins for clothing will be available in the hall lobbies/community buildings during Exam Week.
- Containers for electronics; single stream containers for paper, cans, glass, and cardboard; and dumpsters for unusable and damaged items will be outside near all residential communities during Exam Week.
- Unless one resident accepts responsibility, damage and cleaning charges will be divided among all occupants. All shared spaces (living rooms, bathrooms, kitchens, etc.) are the responsibility of ALL the residents assigned to the suite or apartment. If these shared common spaces are not left in a CLEAN condition, damage and cleaning charges will be assessed and divided among all occupants. Please communicate with your roommate(s) NOW concerning any pending damages. Decide on responsibility now, or be present at the checkout of your roommates.
Checklist for Check Out/Room Cleaning:
This checklist is provided to make your checkout as smooth as possible. Following this list may help you avoid unnecessary charges for cleaning and damages.
- Remove all personal belongings from the room! (ANY ITEMS LEFT BEHIND WILL BE DISPOSED OF AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BE RETRIEVED)
- Remove all posters, decals, tape, poster putty, etc. from doors (inside and out), walls & mirrors
- Clean closets, cabinets – dust shelves, etc.
- Clean windows, window sills, and mirrors
- Dust all furniture including desktops, dressers, shelves, and countertops
- Clean and wipe out drawers in desk and dresser
- Return all furniture to its original position in the room (unbunking of beds is not required)
- Sweep/mop/vacuum floor throughout room, suite, or apartment
- Take out all trash, (please take to dumpster provided outside)
- Where applicable, empty and clean all kitchen appliances and counter tops, clean bathrooms, living room, and sunroom
Once you have completed all the above, you are ready for check-out! Go report to your community building/front desk area at your established check-out time and have your room inspected for damages or turn in your Express Check-Out Envelope.
As a resident, you have two options for check out:
- Express Check-out
- Personal Check-out
Please note the information and procedures listed below for each option. Once you have made your choice, follow the appropriate steps to complete your check out. Note that failure to follow the procedures below may result in additional charges.
OPTION 1: EXPRESS CHECK-OUT
Use this option only if:
- There are no damages in your room/suite/apartment
- You do not have concerns about cleaning charges
This option allows you to leave as soon as you are finished with your exams. The RA will conduct a damage/cleanliness inspection after you leave. If you utilize this option, you will be required to sign a statement waiving your right to appeal damage charges. Follow the steps below to complete an express check out:
- Beginning of Exam Week, go to your residence hall receptionist’s desk (Village to the community building office and Courtyard to their main office) between 10am and 10pm to receive an Express Check-out Envelope.
- Move out your belongings (any items left behind will be disposed of and will not be able to be retrieved), clean your room thoroughly, and then lock the door on your way out. This must be done within 24 hours of your last exam.
- All shared spaces (living rooms, bathrooms, kitchens, etc.) are the responsibility of ALL the residents assigned to the suite or apartment. If these shared common spaces are not left in a CLEAN condition, damage and cleaning charges will be assessed and divided among all occupants.
- Place your room key in the envelope and seal it. Return the signed envelope to the main office and deposit in the black key drop box provided. Make sure the envelope is sealed properly!
OPTION 2: PERSONAL CHECKOUT BY APPOINTMENT
Note: PRIORITY will be given to those students who schedule with our staff.
Remember: All shared spaces (living rooms, bathrooms, kitchens, etc.) are the responsibility of ALL the residents assigned to the suite or apartment. If these shared common spaces are not left in a CLEAN condition, damage and cleaning charges will be assessed and divided among all occupants.
If you have any questions or would like to find out exactly what you are responsible for in your room, suite, or apartment, please contact your RA or Community Director!