The UNCP Academic Service-Learning Advisory Committee (SLAC) connects courses with the community through high impact academic service-learning opportunities in order to enhance student learning, faculty curriculum, and to address local community and surrounding region needs.
The UNCP SLAC will work to create a campus environment that supports teaching and learning opportunities in which service is greatly valued, practiced, evaluated, and recognized though academic service-learning. UNCP Academic Service-Learning supports the mission of UNCP, “Changing Lives through Education”, by supporting students to achieve the lifelong skills, knowledge, and character to graduate as civically engaged and competent citizens.
- Recruit and develop faculty in academic service-learning across all disciplines and surrounding schools.
- Provide support for faculty and staff teaching service-learning courses.
- Develop new and strengthen existing community based partnerships in high impact service-learning programs.
- Engage at least 50% of first year students in high-impact academic service-learning.
- Create and institutionalize a campus culture of service for students, staff, faculty, and the surrounding communities.
Associate Director for Service-Learning
Literacy Commons Faculty Fellow
Dr. Jane Haladay
Associate Professor/American Indian Studies
Executive-in-Residence for Internships
Academic Resource Mentor Coordinator
Dr. Laura Staal
Assistant Professor/ Educational Specialties (Reading)
Student Service Leader for Service-Learning
Pembroke Housing Authority/ Community Member