Career Center Programming and Events
The University of North Carolina at Pembroke Career Center hosts several events throughout the year to facilitate interaction between employers and students and alumni. Events include employer lead professional development programs, fireside chats, mock interview opportunities, employer spotlights, networking opportunities, career labs, and much more!
Be sure to log into Handshake to find out all the opportunities available.
Highlighted Event: JCPenney Suit-Up Event
Fayetteville, NC at the Cross Creek Mall
March 27, 2022, from 4- 7 pm
Join the Career Center at the JCPenney Cross Creek Mall on Sunday, March 27th from 4-7 pm. Up to 60% off professional attire, a networking café (food and networking with employers), resume review, a DJ, 50 professional attire scholarships (valued at $50 dollars each) will be given away, additional giveaways, and much more!
No RSVP is needed however those that RSVP will be entered to win one of two $100 dollar JCPenney gift-cards! RSVP: https://forms.gle/mDCBvG7jVmcuQwUZ7
Transportation is available but you must RSVP using the link above (by March 23rd).
Why Attend An Employer Spotlight
Employer Spotlights are events hosted by employers to educate students and prospective job applicants about their company.
Attending an employer's info session will help you:
- Get a feel for the company and its culture.
- Have the opportunity to see if you would be a good fit there.
- Learn about the positions available at the company.
- Learn how your position fits into the overall scheme.
- Network: Opportunity to build some contacts that could be helpful in the future
What To Expect At An Employer Spotlight
Many companies hold Employer Spotlights on campus during the recruiting season in order to explain the job opportunities they have available and offer more information about the company and its organizational culture. Most spotlights only last an hour and consist of a company presentation where current employees explain the values and mission of the company followed by an opportunity for students to talk to company representatives about the company and ask any pertinent questions. Employer reps are often recent grads able to describe what you might expect during your first couple of years should you join the organization.
How To Prepare For An Employer Spotlight
Preparation should include:
- Doing a little background research on what the company does, specializes in, and job opportunities they have.
- Being aware of competitors in the industry and how this company views itself in comparison to them.
- Learn about the industry so you understand exactly what the company does.
- If you have a geographic preference, knowing about the city you want and why you want it (sometimes differences between firms in particular locations focus on specific industries and sectors).
Discover upcoming Employer Spotlights by logging into Handshake