The Office for Campus Engagement and Leadership is dedicated to providing leadership training, education, and development to our student leaders across campus. We strive to build student leadership capacity by framing and teaching leadership as a purposeful, collaborative, values-based, and relational process of people in a supportive community creating positive change. The Student Government Association is supported through a series of on campus senator training as well as opportunities to travel and connect with other student organizations throughout the southeast region.
UNC Association of Student Governments (ASG)
The UNC Association of Student Governments is a student-led organization committed to furthering educational opportunities and advocating for all 220,000 students within the University of North Carolina system. The UNC system is comprised of 17 campuses that extend from the state’s mountains to the coast.
The Association’s business meetings are held on system campuses, rotating each month. This allows the state’s best student leaders to gain an understanding of each institution’s unique atmosphere, thereby strengthening the connections within the Association.
Composed of student leaders within arguably the nation’s best public university system, ASG advocates to ensure that higher education in North Carolina remains accessible to today’s and tomorrow’s students.
Each month UNCP sends multiple delegates to serve as the voice of UNCP during the business meeting. Delegates are expected to actively participate and bring relative information and initiatives back to campus for discussion. For more information on ASG and current initiatives in the UNC system, please visit the ASG Website.
If you have any questions about the Association of Student Governments please contact your Student Body President or the ASG Campus Liaison found on the Active SGA Members page.
For the most up-to-date information on upcoming business meeting dates and locations please visit BraveConnect.
NACA Student Government East
The NACA® Student Government East Institute assists student governments in the development of strong, effective, student-driven leadership on campus. The Institute is designed to help define the role of the student governments as liaisons for students and organizations.
- Learn how to improve relationships with university officials and campus staff;
- Discuss ways to create a desired impression of the student government;
- Establish a plan for working with campus and local media;
- Learn to create school spirit and loyalty through collaboration with other campus groups;
- Develop a role for the SGA in fostering a strong town-gown relationship;
- Learn to create programs to ensure leadership transition from one year to the next;
- Gain ideas on how to use technology to maximize student government presence, programs and services;
- Exchange resource materials with other school delegates through networking opportunities;
- Learn ways to recognize the diversity on campus and support the development of programs to achieve this goal;
- Learn to create unity in a student government where many opinions differ;
- Develop strategies for campus outreach to provide the student government with the knowledge it needs to make tough decisions and recommendations.
This professional development opportunity will be made available for SGA members during the summer semester. Students must be planning to participate as an active SGA member during the upcoming academic year to be considered for this opportunity.
NACA Events. (n.d.). Retrieved March 16, 2015, from www.naca.org/SGE/pages/default.aspx