The Leadership LLC is an opportunity for 40 first year students to live and study together learning about leadership as a purposeful, collaborative, values-based, and relational process of people in a supportive community creating positive change.
Eligibility and Application
Expectations of selected participants:
- Live in the LLC Community Residence Hall on campus (Oak Hall)
- Develop a personalized leadership plan
- Participate in weekly leadership seminars (Tuesdays 3:30-5pm)
- Attend exclusive receptions with access to campus and community leaders
- Take select classes with other first-year Leadership LLC students
Please note the following:
Due to pre-enrollment and ongoing time conflicts students participating in marching band will not be able to participate in the Leadership LLC.
*You may not participate in the Leadership LLC and another Living Learning Community or Learning Community in the same academic year.
The Leadership Curriculum
The most important part of the Leadership LLC is the classes the members of the community get to take together. The cohort base courses allow students to share in the academic process together becoming a supportive community towards collaborative academic success. As part of the Leadership Living Learning Community students will be enrolled in four classes in the fall semester and one in the spring semester. Additionally, students will participate in weekly leadership seminars facilitated by the CEL Staff.
Fall Semester (7 hours)*
- UNV 1000: First Year Seminar (Special Leadership LLC Section)
- ENG 1050: Composition I**
- HST 1010: American Civilizations to 1877
Spring Semester (6 hours)*
- UNC 1010 Leadership Seminar (non-credit bearing course)
- ENG 1060: Composition II
- PSY 1010: Introduction to Psychology
Please note the following:
* Leadership LLC students will be pre-registered for classes in cohort prior to their orientation day.
**To participate in the Leadership LLC you must place into ENG 1050 for fall and not be a part of either the C.O.P. or Bridge programs.
Additional Leadership Experiences
As part of your participation in the Leadership Living Learning Community you will accelerate your connection with the campus community, expand your leadership capacity, enhance your potential for success at UNCP and beyond, guaranteed access to UNCP’s Living Learning Community Residence Hall – OakHall and, provide other opportunities exclusive to your participation in the Leadership LLC.
To that end, students will participate in the following:
· Leadership LLC Retreat
· Dinner at the Chancellors House
· Structured leadership activities
· Personal leadership advising
LLC Mentor Program
The LLC Mentor Program is an opportunity for previous members of the Leadership LLC to further their personal leadership capacity while supporting the newest Leadership LLC cohort. The LLC Mentors foster connections within the community and serve as role models of leadership behavior. Those who serve as LLC Mentors are recruited from within the LEAD Fellows program.