Note: This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.
Repository: University of North Carolina at Pembroke. Mary Livermore Library. Archives.
Title: Earliest Existent College Catalogs, 1921-1939
Creator: University of North Carolina at Pembroke
Abstract: Catalogue of Cherokee Indian Normal School
A scanned copy of the 1921-1922 college catalog and one bound volume of the three college catalogs for 1928-1929, 1936-1937, 1938-1939. These catalogs contain a variety of information, containing a variety of information, such as academic calendars, program descriptions and requirements, boards of trustees, faculty, class rolls, alumni lists, photographs, etc.
Extent: 4 college catalogs
The materials available on this web site are for research use only. Publication and/or broadcast in any form, whether print or electronic, requires written permission from the Mary Livermore Library.
For purposes of private study, scholarship, and research, materials from this web site may be reproduced without prior permission. When citing materials, please provide proper documentation of source.
The copyright law of the United States governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy is not to be "used for any other purpose than private study, scholarship, or research."
If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
[Identification of item], Earliest Existent College Catalogs, [Mary Livermore Library], [University of North Carolina at Pembroke], [Pembroke], NC, USA.
Accession number(s): 167232
Local call number: Cage LD4881.P46 A1 1928-39
Processed by Anne H. Coleman, March, 2006
Encoded by Anne H. Coleman, March, 2006
Historical Sketch of UNCP
On March 7, 1887, the General Assembly of North Carolina enacted legislation that created the Croatan Normal School, founded to train Native American public school teachers. Local people constructed a building at a site approximately one mile west of the present location. The school opened with 15 students and one teacher in the fall of 1887. The school moved to its present location in Pembroke, the center of the Indian community, in 1909. The General Assembly changed the name of the institution in 1911 to the Indian Normal School of Robeson County, and again in 1913 to the Cherokee Indian Normal School of Robeson County.
For many years, the instruction was at the elementary and secondary school level, but in 1926, the Board of Trustees added a two-year normal program beyond high school and phased out the elementary school instruction. The first diplomas from the \"normal\" school were awarded in 1928, when the state accredited the school as a \"standard normal school.\" Additional college classes were offered in 1931, and, in 1939, a fourth year was added, with the first four-year degrees conferred in 1940. In recognition of the school's new status, the General Assembly changed the name of the school in 1941 to Pembroke State College for Indians. Until 1953, it was the only state-supported, four-year college for Indians in the nation.
The scope of the institution was widened in 1942 when non-teaching degrees were added, and, in 1945, when enrollment, previously limited to the Indians of Robeson County, was opened to all federally-recognized Indian groups. A few years later, in 1949, the General Assembly shortened the name to Pembroke State College.
In 1953, the Board of Trustees approved the admission of white students up to 40 percent of the total enrollment, and, following the Supreme Court's school desegregation decision in 1954, opened the college to all qualified applicants regardless of race.
In 1969, the General Assembly made the institution a regional university and changed the name again to Pembroke State University. Three years later, in 1972, the General Assembly established the 16-campus University of North Carolina with Pembroke State University as one of the constitutient institutions. In 1978, the Board of Governors approved the implementation of master's programs and several new undergraduate programs at Pembroke State University. Over time, additional baccalaureate and master's level programs were added.
The institution celebrated its centennial in 1987, and, on July 1, 1996, Pembroke State University officially became The University of North Carolina at Pembroke.
The institution was founded in 1887; however, for many years, the curriculum for the institution was geared toward elementary and secondary education. A two-year normal (teacher training) program that provided education beyond high school was added in 1926, and the elementary instruction was phased out. The first ten diplomas were awarded in 1928, when the state accredited the institution as a "standard normal school."
The early catalogs for the institution contain much of the information found in current college catalogs, such as calendars of university dates, lists of trustees, administrative officers and faculty, descriptions of the campus, entrance requirements, fees, general regulations, academic degrees offered, and course descriptions. However, these early catalogs also contain such historically significant items as commencement programs, class rolls, alumni lists, student medals and awards, as well as photographs of athletic teams, graduation classes, and campus buildings.
The earliest existent catalog in the library's Special Collections is for academic year 1921-1922. A PDF copy of this catalog was donated to the University by Judge Early Bullard, Martha Locklear Dial, and Daniel D. Locklear. All three donors are the grandchildren of Preston Locklear, who served on the Board of Trustees for the Croatan Normal School, the name of the institution when it was first founded in 1887. The NC General Assembly changed the name of the institution in 1911 to the Indian Normal School of Robeson County and again, in 1913, to the Cherokee Indian Normal School of Robeson County.
In addition, there are three catalogs arranged in chronological order and bound in one volume.
There is one electronic image of the college catalog for 1921-1922, and there is one bound volume of three printed catalogs, arranged in chronological order.
Online Catalog Headings
These and related materials may be found under the following subject headings in the Mary Livermore Library's online catalog.
Cherokee Indian Normal School--Catalogs
Cherokee Indian Normal School--Curricula
Cherokee Indian Normal School--Periodicals
Pembroke State College--Catalogs
Pembroke State College--Curricula
Pembroke State College--Periodicals
Pembroke State University--Catalogs
Pembroke State University--Curricula
Pembroke State University--Periodicals
University of North Carolina at Pembroke--Catalogs
University of North Carolina at Pembroke--Curricula
University of North Carolina at Pembroke--Periodicals
Detailed Description of the Collection
Indian Normal School of Robeson County 1921-1922
This is a brief, 8-page catalog; the cover is missing. The catalog contains general information about the institution, such as the calendar for the 1921-22 academic calendar; a list of the trustees and the faculty; the courses of study for the Primary Department, the Normal School, Vocational Agriculture, and Home Economics; as well as the expenses for the year. Board in the dormitory is $16.00 per month and the registration fee is $1.50. Students in the Vocational Agriculture Department must have “one or more acres of ground to work each year." Also included are pictures of students in the 1921 Summer School, students taking a ride on the farm truck, and the campus buildings.
Cherokee Indian Normal School Bulletin and Outlined Course of Study, 1928-1929
This catalog contains general information about the institution, such as the academic calendar, faculty, rules and regulations, expenses, exams and grades, and entrance and graduation requirements. There are detailed lists of the departments of instruction and the courses of study; the students enrolled during the 1927-1928 academic year; alumni rosters for 1912-1927; and the program for the 1928 Commencement. Also included are pictures of Oscar R. Sampson, Chairman of the Board of Trustees from 1866 to 1928, the Administration Building, and the Girls' Basketball Team.
Cherokee Indian Normal School Catalogue, 1936-1937
This catalog contains much the same general information as the previous edition. New items mentioned are the accreditation by the North Carolina State Department of Public Instruction and a class for deaf students, begun in October 1935. There is now a 4-year curricula for the Normal High School department and a college course of study. Also listed are the alumni rosters for 1928-36 and the high school rolls for 1935-1936. There are pictures of the Main Building, the Board of Trustees, a Summer High School Group (June 15-July 24, 1936), the 1936 College, Normal School, and High School seniors, the 1936 class of deaf students, and a collage containing pictures of the teachers' cottages, the main building, the boys' dorm, the girls' dorm and the campus stores.
Catalogue of Cherokee Indian Normal School, 1938-1939
As with the previous edition, this catalog contains general information about the institution. The courses of study have evolved to curricula for several academic departments. Rather than just a composite list of requirements for the college degree, there are now individual course descriptions for the Departments of Education and Psychology, the Department of English, the Department of History and Social Sciences, the Department of Mathematics and Science, the Department of Music, the Department of Romance Languages, and the Department for the Deaf. Also listed are the registers of all students enrolled 1937-1938, the alumni rolls for 1928-1939, and the officers of the Alumni Association. There are only two pictures in this edition of the catalog: one of the Main Building and one of the Board of Trustees.