Residency Licensure

Residency Programs
Residency Pathway
Program Coordinator/Director
Art Education K-12 Dr. Naomi Lifschitz-Grant 910.521.5792 Locklear Hall 212

Dr. Lisa Mitchell 910.775.4412

School of Education 118

Elementary Education K-6 Dr. Kelly Ficklin 910.775.4037 School of Education 215A
English Education 9-12 or Language Arts 6-9 Dr. Roger Ladd 910.521.6624

Dial Building 121

Health & Physical Education K-12 Dr. Thomas Trendowski 910.521.6342 Jones 1191
Mathematics Education 6-9 or 9-12 Mrs. Latoya Brewer 910.521.6798 Oxendine Science 1212
Music Education K-12 Dr. Jose Rivera 910.521.6290 Moore Hall 136
Science Education 6-9 or 9-12 Dr. Rita Hagevik 910.521.6652 Oxendine Science 2240
Social Studies Education 6-9 or 9-12 Dr. Serina Cinnamon 910.521.6641 Dial Building 207
Spanish Education K-12 Dr. Cecilia Lara 910.521.6359 Dial Building 243
Special Education K-12 Dr. Marisa Scott 910.521.4422 School of Education 208

Please contact the above Program Coordinator/Director for additional coursework information.

The residency license is a one-year pathway, renewable up to two times (for a total of three years).  It is for candidates that meet the content requirements of licensure but may still need pedagogy requirements.  All requirements to convert a Residency License to either an Initial Professional License (IPL) or Continuing Professional License (CPL) must be completed before the expiration of the second renewal of the Residency License.  Individuals must meet the following requirements:

1.  holds, at a minimum, a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education;

2.  has either completed 24 hours of coursework in the requested licensure area or passed the North Carolina State Board of Education (NCSBE) required content area examination(s) for the requested licensure area;

3.  is enrolled in a recognized Educator Preparation Program (EPP).  Students must have earned a grade point scale for formal admission to approved North Carolina EPPs, and;

4.  meets all other requirements established by the NCSBE, including completing preservice requirements prior to teaching.

The Residency Verification Form (Page 3) will first need to be completed by the LEA and then by the Licensure Officer for verification of enrollment.