Completion of the Maynor Honors College curriculum requires that students successfully complete at least 22 hours of honors credit and obtain a minimum 3.4 GPA at graduation.
Honors college students will successfully complete:
- 18 hours of honors credit and
- 4 credit hours of senior project course work (HON 4000 and 4500).
Honors credit includes:
- Honors courses (HON seminars or discipline-specific -900 sections).
- Honors contract courses (maximum of 12 credit hours).
There are three types of honors courses. These courses simultaneously fulfill honors college requirements as well as general education or other requirements at UNCP.
- Honors Seminars: Courses unique to the honors curriculum that offer students an enriched learning experience. Listed with an HON prefix (for example HON 1000-900: Contemporary Public Issues), they are specialized honors experiences.
- Discipline-Specific Honors Courses: Designated honors sections of courses that are offered university wide. Enrollment is limited to honors students. Courses carry a -900 (or higher) section number (for example PHI 1000-900: Introduction to Philosophy).
- Contract Courses: Traditional university courses that are tailored to meet honors requirements by requiring work that is above and beyond the normal expectations of the course. Contract courses are typically upper-level courses in a student’s major or minor department and require an “honors contract” to be developed, describing the honors component which will be added to the course.
At the end of the junior year, honors students begin the senior project course sequence, HON 4000 and 4500, which is typically the final honors requirement prior to graduation. Students plan and complete the project with the support of a faculty mentor and the Honors College senior project coordinator. Students may choose from four project types:
- Campus Dialogue
Note: Any exceptions or substitutions of requirements will be determined by the Dean of the Maynor Honors College and require the completion and approval of an Honors Course Equivalency Proposal. Students who have completed a faculty-led study abroad course may be eligible to substitute that course for HON 3000: Cultures in Contact, using that same process.
End-of-year GPA Requirements:
- First Year: 3.0
- Second Year: 3.25
- Third Year: 3.4
- Fourth Year: 3.4
Yearly Curricular Requirements:
Students must successfully complete a minimum of one honors course every academic year until 18 hours of honors credit are earned. Requests for a waiver of this requirement can be made in writing to the Dean of the Honors College. In addition, students are required to maintain GPA requirements as noted above.
*Students who began their honors curriculum in the previous “track” system (University Honors/Departmental Honors/University & Departmental Honors) may continue progress and graduate in their selected track OR complete their curriculum under the new system as defined above. Students do not need to notify the honors college of their choice, but an advising meeting is recommended.