Financial Assistance (Loans)

The University of North Carolina at Pembroke has one of the lowest tuition rates in the UNC system. Some financial assistance is also available in the form of Graduate Assistantships and loans.

Students wishing to apply for financial aid should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This form determines the eligibility of students for many types of need-based aid, such as Federal Pell Grants, Stafford Loans and Work-Study. Students must be fully admitted into UNC Pembroke before they can receive a financial aid award. Most of the information on the FAFSA comes from information that the student and the parents report on their Federal Income Tax Forms. The priority financial aid filing date is March 1 of each year. Students applying for financial aid after March 1 may have less aid available.

Graduate students normally qualify for Stafford Loans. For further information about this loan program, graduate students may wish to contact the UNCP Office of Financial Aid at 910.521.6255 or 6285. All assistance requires prior completion of FAFSA forms.

Federal Student Aid Loans:   

Additional Resources

  • Participate in online GradReady Financial Literacy modules to learn effective ways to save, spend, and budget your money both in college and after graduation. 
  • Forgivable Loan for Service: The Forgivable Education Loans for Service provides financial assistance to qualified students enrolled in an approved education program and committed to working in critical employment shortage professions in North Carolina (nursing, teaching, allied health fields).
  • Scholarship Opportunities: There are numerous scholarship opportunities available to students through various organizations and affiliations.