ArcGIS site license - UNCP has a site license for the industry leading GIS software package. All lab computers have the software suite installed and 1 year student licenses are available upon request.
(download) - Google Earth Google Earth is a free application that allows users to explore geospatial data.
- Google Maps Provides quick online access to image, elevation and transportation data. The Google Maps API is often used to create online geospatial projects.
- Bing Maps Provides quick online access to image, elevation and transportation data as well as a oblique aeiral imagery and includes an integrated 3D virtual globe.
(download/open source) - QGIS QGIS is an open source project to create a robust GIS analysis package.
FREE DATA SOURCES
- North Carolina The NC One Map provides ready access to a wealth of geospatial data for the state. Data is viewable and downloadable
- National Map The USGS has created a warehouse of information for the US which is accessible via their National Map viewer
- Geospatial at Data.gov the GSO is an interface to metadata on data available from government agencies in the USat all levels
- ArcGIS Online Access to data that has been made available by ESRI and its customers.
- ESRI Virtual Campus As part of the site license, UNCP students, staff, and faculty have access to most of ESRI's software training library at no additional cost on request.
- ArcLessons ESRI has created a repository of lesson plans that educators have created to support a myriad of course topics and experience levels.
- UNCP GISConnection listserve Listserv created to facilitate conversations on geographic information and geospatial technologies on campus
- ESRI's EdCommunity A repository for information about using geospatial technologies in education. Includes various social networking options.