The department offers scholarships to majors, each of which has different eligibility requirements. The files below contain both a description of the scholarship and an application form:
- Grace L. Gibson Endowed Scholarship (.doc) (.pdf)
- John Green Memorial Endowed Scholarship (.doc) (.pdf)
- Sue Betty Locklear Endowed Scholarship (.doc) (.pdf)
Many scholarships ask for letters of recommendation from professors. This sheet provides tips for handling the process of asking for recommendations.
External Opportunities for Majors and Alums
Please note that the links below take you off the UNCP site, to scholarships, fellowships, internships or research opportunities offered by outside agencies. The Department of English and Theatre cannot guarantee the details of any external program, and is not affiliated with the institutions that provide them.
- If you are interested in presenting your work at academic conferences, the Penn English Calls for Papers mailing list and Web site are the best place to find a conference that has a matching theme. This link will take you directly to the "graduate conferences" section of the site. Read the CFP to see whether the conference also welcomes undergraduates--many do.
- Teaching English abroad can be a wonderful opportunity, but not all programs are trustworthy. One organization that can help you get started is Transitions Abroad. The University of Maryland also has a page of useful information about teaching English in other countries.