School of Graduate Studies and Research
School of Graduate Studies and Research
UNCP Home Academics at UNCP Colleges, Schools & Departments Colleges & Schools Graduate Studies and Research Current Graduate Students Graduate FAQ's
  • A
  • A

Graduate FAQ's

Q. What qualifications do I need to apply to graduate school at UNCP?

At minimum, you need to hold a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with a satisfactory undergraduate academic record and meet at least one of the following minimum GPA (4.0 scale) requirements: Must have an overall GPA of at least a 2.5 on all undergraduate work, or an overall GPA of at least a 3.0 in the undergraduate major, or a GPA of at least a 3.0 on all undergraduate work taken in the senior year.  Most of the graduate programs also have their own set of criteria to meet as well, such as standardized test scores, essays and recommendations.

Q. I took the standardized test (GRE, MAT or GMAT) about 10 years ago. Can I submit those scores?

Graduate programs requiring official test scores must have been taken within the past 5 years.  However, if the applicant holds a master’s degree or above (e.g., masters, doctorate, J.D.), the applicant may submit older test scores and it is possible that the entrance test requirement may be waived. The program director will make a recommendation to the Dean of Graduate Studies concerning whether or not the applicant must take or retake the appropriate exam before an official admission decision is made.

Q. I’m considering transferring from another university to complete my graduate work at The University of North Carolina at Pembroke (UNCP). Will all my classes transfer as credit?

Students are allowed to request transfer credit for up to six (6) semester hours of relevant graduate credit taken at an accredited institution with graduate level programs. In order to request transfer credit, a student must complete a transfer of credit form available online HERE.  Along with the form, an official copy of the transcript reflecting the credit and a copy of the catalog description for the course must be submitted. The program director also may require a copy of the course syllabus. It is the responsibility of the student to submit the completed transfer credit request form to the School of Graduate Studies by the established deadline, which is one calendar year of the first day of classes of the semester of the student’s first enrollment in courses (including prerequisites) required for his or her graduate program. Transfer requests submitted after that deadline will not be processed.

Q. What happens to my application after you receive it?

When an application is received, a file is created and all supporting documents will be filed along with the application. Once all supporting documentation is received and meets the general Graduate School criteria, the completed application is forwarded for review and recommendation by the Program Director of the indicated program. After recommendation is made to the Graduate School Dean, the Dean will conduct a final review and make the final determination of acceptance. Once accepted, you will be notified by The Graduate School with a written letter offering you admittance to the program.

Q. Does it matter if I apply early?

By applying early, we can resolve any problems that may occur with plenty of time left to address them before the beginning of the term.  Keep in mind that every semester, the Graduate School processes hundreds of applications. As deadlines approach, it becomes more difficult to give individual attention to details that may not be 100% accurate.

Q. What is the difference between official and unofficial transcripts?

Official transcripts have the original seal of the given university Registrar and are sent directly from one university to another. Unofficial transcripts are copies of transcripts that have been opened by someone other than an official UNCP employee.  Copies of transcripts given directly to the student may be submitted; but they cannot be opened. A university official must open the transcript to make them official.

Q. I have completed course work at UNCP in the past. Do I need official transcripts sent to the Graduate School from UNCP?

Yes, due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) laws, the applicant must request a transcript from the Registrar's Office to be sent to the School of Graduate Studies.

Q. What if my supporting documentations are sent to your office at different times than my application?

Your documents are placed in a filing system and will be matched with your application once it is submitted. Documents are held for up to two years only; after which new documentation will be needed with the exception of test scores which will be held for five years, and transcripts which will be held for three years. The actual application is good for up to one year after submission.

Q. What if I just want to take a course or two? Do I have to enroll in a program? 

At UNC Pembroke Graduate School we have two categories in which this can possibly be done with the approval of the Dean of the Graduate School.  

    1. Special Admission to the Graduate School: Students seeking admission into this category are frequently unable to submit all documents required for full or provisional admission prior to the beginning of a semester.  Other applicants enter this category with the intention of transferring their graduate courses to another institution.  All students seeking to enroll in this non-matriculated special admission status may register for one semester only, for no more than six (6) semester hours, and are cautioned that they have not been admitted into a degree granting program of an academic department.  In most cases, students in this category should seek to convert their admission into full or provisional status as soon as possible.  All degree-seeking students who have enrolled with special admission status will have their records sealed after one semester.  Further enrollment is prohibited without a change of admissions status. 
    2. Enrollment for Enrichment Purposes: Applicants who possess a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, are not enrolled in degree programs at other institutions, and who wish to complete courses at UNCP for personal or professional enrichment may qualify for admission as special students (see general application procedures above). Students in this category cannot enroll for more than six (6) semester hours in a semester. Continuation of enrollment beyond one semester in this category requires the written approval of the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies. A maximum of six (6) semester hours (if appropriate and within the time limit) earned as a special student may later be applied toward degree requirements.
        • To be considered for special or enrichment admissions an applicant must: 
          a)  submit a completed application to the School of Graduate Studies;
          b)  pay a $45.00, non-refundable application fee, $60.00 for International applicants;
          c)  submit an official transcript indicating that he/she received a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning and including the date the degree was awarded; and 
          d)  submit a copy of a current NC teacher license if applying to the M.S.A., M.A.Ed., or an M.A. licensure program. 

Q. How long do I have to complete my degree?

At UNC Pembroke all course work applied toward the master’s degree must have been completed within five years (six years for the Professional School Counseling, Clinical Mental Health Counseling (formerly known as Mental Health Counseling & Service Agency Counseling), and Social Work programs) of formal admission to the program. The time requirement is based upon the calendar. For example, if a student enrolls for a fall semester graduate course, then this student is one year into his/her time limit at the start of the next fall semester.

Q. I am going to graduate this term. What do I need to do?

Complete a Graduation Application (found under the forms tab) and submit it to The Graduate School with all required signatures by the specified deadlines. We must strictly adhere to these deadline dates in order to have diplomas and other pertinent information printed in time.

Q. I am in the process of having my test scores sent to The Graduate School and they are asking for a school code. What is the school code?

If you are sending your GRE test scores the school code is R5534. If you are sending your MAT test scores the school code is 1363. If you are sending your GMAT test scores the school code is DP8-3F. The school code for other purposes such as financial aid is 002954.

Q. How can I find out if the program of my interest requires any prerequisite courses?

Prerequisite course information is program specific information. This information can be found on the Graduate School website under Programs/program-specific requirements.

Q. How do I apply to a graduate program?

Once you have determined which graduate program is right for you, complete an on-line application which is located on the Graduate School website in the right banner area: “Apply to Graduate School”.

Q. What is the cost?

Tuition and fee schedules change annually. Updated information can be found HERE

Q. Is financial assistance available?

Financial assistance and graduate assistantships are available to graduate students. Check the website for more information HERE.

Q. How do I check my application status?

Checking your application status is as easy as a click away. Once you log back into your application, just log into your submitted application and click the log in button.  When the screen changes, your updated information will be displayed. Please allow five days from the time that you submit your application and/or supporting documents for your status to update online. Also allow a few days in between each time you check to allow for data entry time. If you encounter any problems, you may call the Graduate School on Thursdays or Fridays after 2:00 pm. (E.S.T.) for status checks.

Q. Can my application be considered before I submit my financial support documents?

Your financial support documents are not required in order for an admissions decision to be made. However, an I-20 cannot be issued for any admitted student until all valid financial documents have been received.  Once you have been accepted into UNCP and financial documents received, the International Programs office will be able to issue you the I-20 or DS-2019 that you will need so that you may apply for your student visa. Once accepted, you will also have full access to the full range of services that the International Programs office offers.

Q. I sent all of my documents but the online application status check says you didn’t get them. Why?

Applicants should allow five days from the time that you submit your application and/or supporting documents for your status to update online. We will notify you if further action is required. If you encounter any problems, or you feel the information displayed is in error, you may call the Graduate School on Thursdays or Fridays after 2:00 pm. (E.S.T.) for status checks.

Q. Can I email or fax my documents to you?

We will accept emailed or faxed essays/personal statements, teaching license and recommendations. Emailed recommendations must be emailed to the Graduate School email address ( and must come directly from the recommender’s email address. A college or university may email transcripts using eScrip-Safe Notification.

Q. If I applied last year and was denied admission, can I reapply?

Any enrolled graduate student whose entrance to, continuation in, or exit from the Graduate Program is denied by the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies, acting upon policies established by the Graduate Council of The University of North Carolina at Pembroke, has the right to appeal the denial. *Please see the Catalog or Graduate School Handbook in reference to the Appeal Process.

Q. If I applied last year, but never completed the application process, will I have to pay another application fee when I re-apply?

If your application file was submitted and is no more than one year old, you will not have to pay another application fee; however you will need to do an update application and submit updated recommendations. If your application file was submitted and is more than one year old, you will have to pay another application fee and update your application and update your recommendations. If you decide to change the program to which you are applying a new application fee will have to be charged.

Q. Is New Graduate Student Orientation mandatory?

All degree seeking graduate students are strongly encouraged and expected to attend the scheduled orientation session during their first semester of enrollment. Students are held responsible for knowing and understanding the information provided during orientation sessions. Dates and times of the August and January orientation sessions are posted on the School of Graduate Studies website. Graduate students beginning their studies during the summer sessions are expected to attend the fall semester orientation.

Q. I applied to the wrong program, how can I correct my application?

A new application for the correct program needs to be submitted. Contact the Graduate School so the wrong application can be returned to the online application system for correction. Also, criteria for the correct program may differ slightly from the previous program applied for. Please check program specific-requirements. New recommendations pertaining to the correct program may also be needed.

Q. I have been accepted to the program, when can I register for classes?

As soon as you have been advised by your advisor as to what classes to take and given your four-digit registration pin, you will be able to register during the open registration period.

Q. I ordered my transcripts but the Graduate School has not received them?

Contact the university to see when and if your transcripts were mailed. Contact the Graduate School to confirm that they were mailed and if they were mailed to the correct address. The Graduate School will communicate with other offices on campus that could have possibly received them in error.

Q. What resources are available to graduate students at UNCP?

The following resources are available to graduate students: