- First Issued: February 20, 2017
- N.C. General Statute §116-40.5 - Campus law enforcement agencies
- UNC Code Appendix I, Section XV – Campus Security
- UNCP REG 01.20.01 – Procedure for Formatting, Adopting, and Publishing Polices and Regulations
- Commission on Law Enforcement Accreditation - Law Enforcement Accreditation
- NC State Constitution, Article VI - Suffrage and Eligibility to Office
- N.C. General Statute §17C - NC Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission
- N.C. General Statute §160A-288 - Cooperation between law-enforcement agencies
- N.C. General Statute §90-95.2 - Cooperation between law-enforcement agencies
Contact Information: Associate Vice Chancellor for Campus Safety and Emergency Operations, 910.775.4500
1.1 In accordance with North Carolina General Statute §116-40.5, the Board of Trustees of the University of North Carolina at Pembroke (UNCP) may establish a campus law enforcement agency and employ campus police officers. Such officers shall meet the requirements of Chapter 17C of the General Statutes, shall take the oath of office prescribed by Article VI, Section 7 of the North Carolina State Constitution, and shall have all the powers of law enforcement officers generally. The territorial jurisdiction of a campus police officer shall include all property owned or leased to the institution employing the campus police officer and that portion of any public road or highway passing through such property or immediately adjoining it, wherever located.
2. CAMPUS LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY DESIGNATION
2.1 The department of police and public safety is hereby designated the campus law enforcement agency for UNC Pembroke as described in N.C.G.S. §116-40.5 and shall have all the powers and authority described in said statute.
3. DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY
3.1 On July 26, 2013, the UNC Pembroke Board of Trustees granted (and ratified any previous agreements) the chancellor the authority to enter into joint agreements with governing boards as described in N.C.G.S. § 116-40.5(b), (c), and (d).
3.2 The chancellor of UNC Pembroke delegates (pursuant to REG 01.20.01, para. 6.9) limited authority to the director of police and public safety to:
3.2.b. draft and issue university policies or regulations and departmental general orders or operating procedures as necessary to be in accord with the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA) or other local or nationally recognized law enforcement accreditation agency standards.