International Programs
International Programs

Financial Aid/Scholarships

To plan for and manage the financial aspects of your study abroad, it is important for you to establish and maintain communication with the Financial Aid Office.  In particular, you should make an appointment to go over your individual financial aid package with Mr. Kyle McMahan, the specialist for study abroad financing in the Office.

Semester/Year-Long Study Abroad

Generally your scholarships, grants, and loans may be used for semester and year-long study abroad assuming you maintain full time standing (minimum 12 credit hours). Please verify with Mr. McMahan, how your individual awards may apply.  And note that you may only apply financial aid to the courses you take abroad if you have completed a Course Authorizaion Sheet issued to you by the Study Abroad Coordinator and by so doing confirmed that each appropriate department head has approved the equivalent course at UNCP for which you will receive credit having successully completed the course at your host institution.  Also, you must have the signature of your Faculty Advisor on your Course Authorization Sheet indicating that you need each of the approved UNCP courses to graduate.  Please contact your Study Abroad Coordinator for details about the Course Authorization Sheet.

Summer Sessions/Faculty Led Programs

In order to qualify for financial aid in the summer you must be registered for a minimum of 6 credit hours (and receive grades of 'C' or higher). Did you know the aid you take during the fall/spring can affect your summer aid eligibility? If you are planning to study abroad during Maymest or the summer, speak to your Financial Aid Counselor so you can plan your aid distribution accordingly.


There are a growing number of study abroad scholarships that are attached to specific programs, or are national in scope.

Study Abroad Scholarships/Grants:


Kyle and Sarah Carter Annual Scholarship Award for Study Abroad. 

  • Recipient/s must reach junior status by the time of their travel
  • Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.00 overall
  • Typically offered to students who are travelling for a semester or year
  • Students must submit the Kyle and Sarah Carter Scholarship Application for consideration. Due by: December 5th and April 1st.

Maynor Study Abroad Scholarship

Turbeville-Perritt Endowed Scholarship. 

  • Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 overall
  • Preference will be given to applicants who are 1) studying abroad for a semester in a university where the language of study is not English 2) able to explain future intentions to engage in an internship abroad
  • Students must submit the Turbeville-Perritt Endowed Scholarship Application for consideration.  Due by: April 6th and December 1st.

Blue Scope Steele Foundation Scholarship

Prospect High School Class of 1959 International Travel Fund

  • Recipient must: (1) demonstrate financial need; (2) be a native or current resident of Robeson County; (3) be a product of the Public Schools of Robeson County; and, (4) commit to teaching in the Public Schools of Robeson County if a teaching position is offered to them
  • Student must be admitted to the teacher education program and have a minimum 2.80 QPA
  • Students must study abroad for a semester or year
  • Students must submit the Prospect High School Class of 1959 International Travel Fund Application for consideration. Due by: December 5th and April 1st.


Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship

Boren Awards for International Study