At the beginning and end of each academic semester, UNCP International Programs provides limited, scheduled airport shuttle services for international program participants. Unless otherwise specifically noted, service to either Charlotte-Douglas International airport (CLT) or Fayetteville Regional (FAY) airport is not available.
Reservations are required. To make your reservation, email email@example.com, our administrative assistant.
Services are generally only available on specific dates at the beginning and end of the academic term as established by International Programs in accordance with the UNCP academic calendar. On other occasions (breaks, vacations, etc.), there may be additional opportunities to take advantage of a scheduled UNCP transfer service. In some cases a fee may apply. Students will be accommodated on a first-come, first-serve and space-available basis.
Travel time, RDU to UNCP: Approximately 2 hours, 15 minutes, depending upon traffic and weather (121 miles).
Important: Students whose travel plans do not match the scheduled transfer dates are required to make their own arrangements, and at their own expense, to reach UNCP.
- Housing check-in is only available during regular business hours, generally 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Please take this into account when making independent arrival plans.
- Recognize that you may need to spend the night in a local hotel if you arrive after housing check-in business hours.
Delayed, Cancelled Flights or Change of Plans
International Programs recognizes that sometimes things happen that are beyond students' control, or that plans may have to be changed.
- In such instances, students are required to contact International Programs immediately and change their reservation.
- Make sure that you have the office's telephone number (910-775-4095) on your travel documents, and in your purse or wallet.
- Weekends or after 5:00 pm: UNCP police at 910-521-6235. That office will relay the information to International Programs.
For Shuttles to RDU for Departing Flights, book a flight that departs 2 to 3 hours after the shuttle is scheduled to arrive. That way you can get through check-in and security in a timely manner:
On the days when departure transfers are scheduled , the departure time from UNCP is 06:00 am. Travel time, UNCP to RDU: Approximately 2 hours, 15 minutes depending upon traffic and weather (121 miles).
Again, all departing students and scholars should coordinate their arrival and departure flights with the scheduled transfers - taking into account the extra time needed for check-in and security.
- It is not recommended that travellers book flights departing RDU before 10:30 in the morning.
Please Note: Airport transfers are offered solely as a convenience to our international students and scholars. Participation in the service is voluntary, and travellers are free to make their own independent arrangements if they prefer.
- Neither UNCP, nor International Programs, or their representatives, agents or delegates (etc.) may be held liable or responsible for missed flights, missed connections or other travel consequences.
- Participation in the transfer program constitutes voluntary recognition and acceptance of the above.
- Travellers are solely responsible for contacting airlines (etc.) in a timely manner in the event of delays or other travel changes.
- Carry travel details and travel provider contact information with you at all times.
Travellers departing on early morning flights that do not meet the above departure recommendations are advised to use the International Programs airport transfer the day before departure, and to stay overnight at a nearby hotel.
- Students are responsible for making hotel reservations, and are also responsible for any costs involved. Hotels very close to RDU, and with free shuttle service to and from the airport include the following:
Departing Students and Scholars
1) It is your responsibility to know the luggage weight and size limits for domestic and international flights.
- Familiarize yourself with the number of bags allowed as well as the size and shape allowed by the airline, by checking your airline's website.
Over-packing is a common problem among departing international students and scholars.
- Overweight luggage fees are very expensive!
- Departing students and scholars have been known to discard belongings at the airport rather than to pay the fines for excess baggage.
- Begin to pack several days in advance, so that you can better assess what you need or should be taking with you.
- Ship home whatever does not fit or might make your bags too heavy, or plan to pay to check additional pieces of luggage (MUCH CHEAPER than paying overweight baggage fees)
2) Airport Security: Travellers are also responsible for being in compliance with current airport security requirements, and to know what may and what may not be brought onto the aircraft.
- Check the TSA website for information (Look for: “What To Know Before You Go”) about what you are permitted to take on board the plane with you: http://www.tsa.gov/ (Link opens in new window).