Thank you for visiting the English Language Institute (ELI) at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke (UNCP). ELI offers English language training for students who wish to study at UNCP or other U.S. colleges and universities. Students who do not meet the minimum English language requirement (68 on internet-based TOEFL or 520 on the paper-based TOEFL) can apply to ELI and matriculate upon successful completion of the program.
We strive to engage and motivate our students through challenging, effective and enjoyable English language instruction. Please be aware that this is an intensive English program. Students should expect 25 of instruction per week and 2-4 hours of self study and homework per day. Although the curriculum is demanding, the ELI instructors are there to help you every step of the way.
Some of the features of our ELI program include:
- Small classes (fewer than 12 students per class) with individualized attention
- Highly-trained, caring teachers who provide instruction in reading, writing, speaking, listening, TOEFL preparation and American culture/college life
- 25 hours of intensive instruction per week, Schedule: Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM, 1:00 PM - 3:30 PM
- Out-of-class activities including cultural events, volunteer opportunities and community involvement
- Conversation Partner Program
- Full access to UNC Pembroke facilities (gym, library, computer labs, dining hall, etc.)
- Safest campus in the UNC system
- Day trips to the beach or the mountains
- Beautiful, small town setting in sunny, warm Southeastern North Carolina. Less than 2 hours from Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Wilmington and Myrtle Beach.
- Half-way between New York City and Orlando, Florida.
Check out our ELI brochure for an overview of the ELI program.
Feel free to call us at 910.775.4095, e-mail us at email@example.com, or come by the International Programs office at UNCP if you have any further questions.