The English Language Institute (ELI) at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke (UNCP) provides intensive English language instruction, pre-academic training, and cultural orientation to international students preparing for university study in the United States. The ELI program also welcomes students who want to improve their English skills for personal or professional reasons.
Students who do not meet UNCP's minimum English language requirement (68 on TOEFL iBT for undergraduate programs and 80 on TOEFL iBT for graduate programs) can apply to the ELI. Successful completion of the ELI program satisfies the language requirement for admission to UNCP. Students have to meet all other admission requirements in order to start their degree program.
Some of the features of our ELI program are:
- Small classes with individualized attention
- Highly-trained, caring teachers who provide instruction in reading, writing, speaking, listening, TOEFL preparation and American culture/college life
- 20 hours of intensive instruction per week
- Cultural events and trips
- Conversation Partner Program
- Full access to UNC Pembroke facilities (gym, library, computer labs, dining hall, etc.)
- Safest campus in the UNC system
- Day trips to the beach or the mountains
- Beautiful, small town setting in sunny, warm Southeastern North Carolina. Less than 2 hours from Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Wilmington and Myrtle Beach.
- Half-way between New York City and Orlando, Florida.
Feel free to call us at 910.775.4095, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or come by the International Programs office at UNCP if you have any further questions.