The UNCP Campus Computing Initiative (CCI) focuses on client computers for faculty, staff, teaching labs and non-teaching labs. As funding allows, the CCI will provide:
- Replacement of 1 client computer per faculty/staff member once every 4 years.
- Removal of 1 client computer per faculty/staff member once every 4 years.
- Replacement of classroom and lab computers once every 4 years.
- Removal of each classroom and lab computer as they are refreshed.
This UNCP CCI will align with the following guiding principles:
- All aspects of the initiative will focus on support of the academic mission.
- Input will be solicited from faculty, staff and students to best inform decisions impacting the CCI.
- Client computer refresh cycles will be defined to address appropriate security, functionality and cost measures.
- Cost considerations will include recurring support costs as well as initial purchases.
- Standard desktop and laptop models of will be offered and funded centrally.
- The standard model for campus is a Windows desktop.
- Offerings will include a software image standard to campus.
- Standards will be defined to meet the general needs for teaching and research. Exceptions to be funded centrally will be negotiated with university leaders and will be supported based on needs to support teaching and research.
- Optional upgrades and the purchase of peripherals such as a docking station, mouse and monitor will need to be funded by the requesting departments.
- Distribution of client computers and training related to their use will be scheduled to best align with the academic calendar, affording faculty/staff and support staff time to prepare for academic, research and creative endeavors.
- Computing options and associated costs will be defined equitably and in the spirit of stewardship.
- All computing options offered will align with the strategic plans for UNCP.