Blogs are an open communications tool for Students to share their thoughts.
A Blog consists of:
- Blog Entries: Text, images, links, multimedia, Mashups, and attachments posted by students and open for Comments.
- Comments: Remarks or responses to Blog Entries made by others. Users can delete Comments, if the instructor allows.
There are three different types of Blogs:
- Course Blogs: All enrolled users are able to post Blog Entries. All enrolled users can post Comments to Blog Entries.
- Individual Blogs: Only the owner of the Blog is able to post Blog Entries. All other users enrolled in the Course are able to view and add Comments.
- Group Blogs: If the instructor enables the Blog tool for the Group, all Group members can post Blog entries and make comments on Blog entries. Any course member can view Group Blogs, but can only add comments.
The instructor can edit and delete entries in any of the three Blog types and delete any use Comments.
- Access to Blogs
- Blog Information
- Blog Availability
- Date and Time Restrictions
- Blog Participation
- Blog Settings
Users removed from the Course will not have access to any Blogs. If users are removed from the Course after Individual Blogs have been created, all their posts and comments will be deleted. If users are removed from a Course after Course Blogs have been created, all their posts and comments will be retained, but the name of the poster or commenter will be changed to "Anonymous."
Provide a Name for the Blog. Add a descriptive name so that users will understand the nature of the Blog.
Provide Instructions for the Blog. Format the text using the Text Editor functions. This information is optional, but can help users understand expectations and any associated rules or requirements.
Users will not see the Blog or be able to add entries unless the Blog Availability is set to Yes.
Blogs can be set to display on a specific date and time and to stop displaying on a specific date and time. Select Display After and Display Until check boxes in order to enable the date and time selections. Display restrictions do not affect the content in the Blog, only the appearance of the Blog.
Set the Type of Blog by selecting Individual or Course. For Individual Blogs, only the owner of the Blog is allowed to post Blog Entries. All other enrolled users can view and add Comments. For Course Blogs, all enrolled users are able to post Blog Entries. All enrolled users can post Comments to Blog Entries. The Instructor can edit and delete Blog Entries. The Instructor can delete Comments.
Allow users to post anonymously by selecting Allow Anonymous Comments for Individual Blogs or Allow Anonymous Entries and Comments for Course and Group Blogs.
Index Entries: Select the time frame, Monthly or Weekly for a selected user or all course members. View the list of Entry titles posted during the index span.
Allow Users to Edit and Delete Entries: If selected, users can edit and delete the entries they have created after they are posted. Instructors are able to edit and delete any user's Blog Entries, without enabling this option.
Allow Users to Delete Comments: If selected, users can delete Comments they added to Blog Entries. Instructors are able to delete any user's Blog entries, without enabling this option.
Grade Blog: Select the grade option and type the number of Points Possible. Once a Blog has been enabled for grading, a column is automatically created in the Grade Center.