For details on each group and instructions on how to sign up, please check back on this page or follow us on twitter @UNCPCAPS or stop by CAPS in the UC and watch your UNCP email for more upcoming group details.
Fall 2014 Groups:
Art and Expressive Therapy
Keep Calm and Carry On: Coping Skills
Yoga for Mental Health
Group therapy offers the opportunity to address issues, concerns, and problems in an interpersonal setting with peers and a therapist leader. Group therapy provides a safe place to work on relationships, intimacy, and self-esteem. It can be an invaluable therapy resource.
What are the benefits of group therapy?
- Group can afford the opportunity to “be real” with others in an environment of safety and respect.
- Group can counteract feelings of isolation and a sense of being alone with one’s feelings.
- Members are able to try out new behaviors.
- Group can provide members with diverse views, responses, and feedback.
- In group, members often see their “usual” patterns of relating to people, allowing for an opportunity to challenge these patterns.
- Group can allow members the chance to explore and better understand themselves.
- In group, members can learn new social techniques, ways of relating, and how to better cope with difficulties.