The following organizations are members of UNCP’s All Greek Council:
Hok Nosai Sorority
Hok Nosai Fraternity
Recognized Governing Boards and Affiliate Organizations
National Panhellenic Council (NPHC)
The University of North Carolina at Pembroke National Panhellenic Council’s (NPHC) purpose is to provide service to the campus and community, maintain unity, and foster brotherhood and sisterhood. This is done by promoting the ideals of the NPHC through education to ensure that we provide, succeed and achieve in all we do.
The council provides: a means for preserving the cultural heritage of the historically African American Greek organizations; a forum for addressing items of mutual interest to the NPHC organizations; an experience of self-governance necessary for development of the emergent leader; and an opportunity for groups to recommend legislation to Inter/National Headquarters.
Multicultural Greek Council (MCGC)
The purpose of the Multicultural Greek Council will be to set a high standard within the UNCP Greek community. This is accomplished by unifying fraternal organizations through leadership and communication as well as offering an alternative governing body in order to reflect the diversity of the UNCP student body. MCGC strives for academic excellence, community service, and educating the campus and community in regard to cultural awareness. MCGC is committed to making an impact.
The purpose of this council is to promote and retain high standards in the campus life of Greek-letter organizations at UNCP; to promote unity and harmony between member organizations and amongst other Greek lettered organizations; to maintain a positive relationship with the administration; to address and develop strategies of action on matters of mutual concern to the member organizations; to facilitate active involvement of member organizations in the local community and on the campus; and, to promote a positive image of Greek life on the UNCP campus.
Panhellenic Association (PHC)
The purpose of the Panhellenic Council is to develop and maintain sorority life on campus, foster inter-sorority relations and promote scholarship. Each sorority supports several philanthropic projects each year.
Interfraternity Council (IFC)
IFC is a self-governing body representing the fraternities at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke. Consisting of four executive members and the president/ delegate of each fraternity, the IFC strives to promote excellence in all aspects fraternity life and academic pursuits. The Council also works together to help the Greek community better achieve its common goal of membership development and service. The Council works to achieve these goals through its committee structure focusing on an array of areas including chapter development, scholarship, community service, member education, and alumni and public relations. The Council is lead by a four member Executive Committee, which works closely with the Director of Greek Life. Each year, the Council sponsors numerous educational seminars covering a variety of topics pertinent to the lives of University students.
Maintaining a Fraternity or Sorority
In order to be in good standing with UNCP, each organization must meet the following minimum expectations.
- Maintain a chapter grade point average of 2.5 or above for both semester and cumulative grades.
- Fully participate in All Greek Council and Governing Board meetings.
- Fully participate in Office of Greek Life Educational Programs i.e. Fraternity and Sorority Life Annual Leadership Summit, NIC IMPACT, LeaderShape etc.
- Update chapter roster on a regular basis, which requires that changes be made within twenty-four hours of membership status changes.
- Update grade release, bid card, anti-hazing agreement, and new membership documents within twenty-four hours of bid acceptance and/or beginning of the intake process.
- Adherence to all University policies and procedures as well as all Inter/National policies and procedures.
- Update officer contact information each semester and/or immediately following officer changes.
- Have an active faculty/staff advisor as well as an active advisory board that adheres to the Office of Greek Life Advisor’s policy.
- Schedule and attend chapter president one-on-one meetings with the Director of Greek Life or designee a minimum of twice per semester.
Establishing a Fraternity or Sorority
The UNC Pembroke Office of Greek Life welcomes the addition of fraternities and sororities by supporting open expansion and NPC extension. The following requirements must be met in order to establish a Greek organization on-campus.
- The fraternity/sorority must be Nationally or Internationally recognized and documentation must be provided that the Headquarters is in support of the colonization.
- The members of the fraternity/sorority as well as the headquarters of the Greek organization must hold a liability insurance policy with a minimum of one million dollars in coverage.
- The fraternity/sorority must provide a copy of the Inter/National policy as well as risk management policy (support of FIPG strongly encouraged).
- The fraternity/sorority must adhere to NIC, NPC, NPHC, NALFO, and/or their governing body’s Standards.
- The fraternity/sorority must provide a copy of a proposed constitution and bylaws.
- The fraternity/sorority must have an active faculty/staff advisor as well as an active advisory board trained and recruited prior to the recruitment of members.
- A certified copy of recruitment/intake plans must be submitted two weeks prior to the first interaction with potential members. This information must be signed and approved by the chapter advisor, state/province/regional director, and approved by Headquarters