Spring 2015 Check – Out Information
On-Campus Student Housing Closes
Saturday, May 9 at 3:00pm
As a resident, you have two options for check out. Please note the information and procedures listed below for each option. Once you have made your choice, follow the appropriate steps to complete your check out. Note that failure to follow the procedures below may result in additional charges. If you have questions, please see your Resident Advisor or Community Director.
OPTION 1: EXPRESS CHECK-OUT
Use this option only if:
- There are no damages in your room/suite/apartment
- You do not have concerns about cleaning charges
This option allows you to leave as soon as you are finished with your exams. The RA will conduct a damage/cleanliness inspection after you leave. If you utilize this option, you will be required to sign a statement waiving your right to appeal damage charges. Follow the steps below to complete an express check out:
- Beginning Monday, May 4, go to your residence hall receptionist’s desk (Village to the community building office and Courtyard to their main office) between 10am and 10pm to receive an Express Check-out Envelope.
- Move out your belongings, clean your room thoroughly, and then lock the door on your way out. Note this must be done within 24 hours of your last exam.
- Place your room key in the envelope and seal it. Return the signed envelope to where you initially received the express envelope between 10am and 10pm. Make sure the envelope is sealed properly!
OPTION 2: PERSONAL CHECKOUT APPOINTMENT
You must sign up for your appointment during Exam Week – May 4th – 9th!
Schedule a 15-minute checkout appointment with your RA. Each RA will have a posted appointment schedule for exam week on their room door. Failure to schedule an appointment may delay your checkout or result in an improper checkout fee in addition to any charges for damages/cleaning. Residents will submit their key and form to the live-in staff.
Important Notes About Check-Out
- All roommates must thoroughly clean the room. Follow the checklist below in order to minimize the charges. Your room has to be in the same CLEAN condition as it was when you moved in. If your room is not clean you will be assessed a charge!
- Begin discarding some unwanted items you have accumulated throughout the year. For convenience and safety of others, keep all debris and belongings out of the hallways and suite lounges.
- Recycle bins for clothing and food will be available in the hall lobbies beginning April 27.
- Containers for electronics; single stream containers for paper, cans, glass, and cardboard; and dumpsters for unusable and damaged items will be outside near the residential communities beginning May 4.
- Unless one resident accepts responsibility, damage and cleaning charges will be divided among all occupants. In addition, the last resident to checkout will be responsible for all damages or missing items not already accounted for. Please communicate with your roommate(s) concerning any pending damages. Decide on responsibility now, or be present at the checkout of your roommates.
Check-list for Check Out/Room Cleaning:
This checklist is provided to make your checkout as smooth as possible. Following this list may help you avoid unnecessary charges for cleaning and damages.
- Remove all personal belongings from the room!
- Remove all posters, decals, tape, poster putty, etc. from doors (inside and out), walls & mirrors
- Clean closets, cabinets – dust shelves, etc.
- Clean windows and window sills, and mirrors
- Dust all furniture including desk tops, dressers, shelves, and countertops
- Clean and wipe out drawers in desk and dresser
- Return all furniture to its original position in the room (unbunking beds not required)
- Sweep/mop/vacuum floor throughout room or apartment
- Take out all trash, (please take to dumpster if receptacles are full)
- Where applicable, empty and clean all kitchen appliances and counter tops, clean bathrooms, living room, and sun room
Once you have completed all of the above items, you are ready for check-out! Go to your RA at your established check-out time and have your room inspected for damages or turn in your Express Check-Out Envelope.
If you have any questions or would like to find out exactly what you are responsible for in your room, please contact your Resident Advisor or Community Director!