Once accepted to the program, the RISE Fellows will work in a group along with UNCP faculty, staff and students, as well as external collaborators to strengthen their grasp of current topics on biology, chemistry and specialized topics in the biomedical field.
Benefits for Students | Faculty
BENEFITS FOR RISE STUDENTS
UNCP-RISE supports student research and academic activities at all undergraduate levels. Students will receive financial benefits as well as professional experience and training that will better prepare them to enter and succeed in a graduate program.
The benefits vary and are based on the classification of the student.
Activities are geared to provide help to students based on their current need. For example, an incoming freshman may need help in the area of networking, developing good study habits and time management, whereas a senior might need an enriching extramural summer research experience and assistance in preparing for the GRE (a graduate school entrance exam).
- Students will be offered faculty- and peer-led Supplemental Instruction for gateway courses that have been challenging for our students.
- Students will attend workshops in time management, reading comprehension, writing, problem solving, test taking and stress management.
- Students will be paired with faculty and more senior student mentors to introduce them to academic & research environments and facilitate their professional growth.
- Students will receive extensive assistance with GRE preparation and application to graduate programs.
- Students will engage in an on-campus "hands-on" research experience with faculty mentors.
- During the summer, students will work either with a UNCP faculty mentor or a faculty mentor from other research institutions.
- Workshops and training will help students prepare for competitive summer research internships at top notch labs.
- Financial support for extramural research will be provided for travel, research supplies, and an allowance to defray the cost of living.
- Financial support is available for travel to attend and/or present at conferences.
RISE students will receive a wage of $10.00/hr to participate in program activities. Acceptance into the program will require a student to spend approximately:
- 16 hours/week during the academic year
- 40 hours/week in the summer
All RISE participants will receive support to attend at least one scientific conference annually. Funds are available for:
- Registration fees
- other travel related expenses
- RISE Colloquium and Seminars
- Professional training and networking sessions
- Research Career workshops
- GRE Preparation
- Luncheon with speakers
- Attendance at one scientific conference per year
- Seminar attendance
- Journal Club
BENEFITS FOR UNCP FACULTY
- Release time during the academic year (3 hrs/semester) for mentoring student research. Competitive proposals will be reviewed by the Advisory Committee.
- Summer salary for mentoring research by the RISE scholars
- Release time to develop supplemental instruction modules for core courses.
- Travel support for meetings and conferences for both the mentoring faculty and their students. The support is for both presentations and/or attendance.
- Funds to bring potential collaborators and seminar speakers who may enhance and expand the existing research efforts.
Monday, October 1, 2012
Are you interested in finding out more about the research that is happening at UNCP?
Check out the link below:
Faculty Research Interests