Building a ‘poster child’ for mold
By Mark Schulman
and Andrea Vukcevic
Assistant and Features Editors
Oct. 16, the Dial Building was closed after a report confirmed the
presence of 17 types of airborne mold, including the potentially
toxic Stachybotrys spore, and will not reopen before Fall 2004,
according to Chancellor Allen Meadors.
Consultant, Inc. of Raleigh performed testing.
an information session on Wednesday, Oct. 22 to update faculty and
staff on the situation. About 100 people attended, some to accuse
administration of slow reaction to earlier mold sightings and others
to praise those who worked after-hours to ease complications of
is the poster child for mold,” Meadors said.
the building’s poor construction allowed rain to seep through
the windows and run down the interior and exterior walls and this
summer’s heavy rains exacerbated the problem. Stagnant moisture
is a breeding ground for mold.
from Enpuricon Inc. will clean and replace the walls and seal windows
to prevent water accumulation.
will test each building on campus for 30-35 types of mold at a cost
of $3,000-$6,000 per facility.
systematically going through every building on campus,” Meadors
There are 25
buildings that will be tested annually at a cost of $60,000-$100,000.
what we do, we’ll never be able to get all of the mold out
of our buildings,” Meadors said.
In the next two weeks, affected faculty can go online for a schedule
of when they can pick up their decontaminated personal belongings.
Faculty will have new office assignments and classrooms after Christmas
allergies and respiratory problems generally have greater sensitivity
According to a University of Minnesota website, other individuals
with chronic exposure to the toxin produced by Stachybotrys have
reported cold and flu symptoms, sore throats, diarrhea, headaches,
fatigue, dermatitis, intermittent local hair loss and generalized
everyone who helped minimize the sudden complications as a result
of the closing.
“We’re going to get through this,” he said.