By Scott Bigelow
Awards Day for The University of North Carolina at Pembroke was April 28. Awards range in value from $50 to $1,000.
American Indian Studies:
- Adolph L. Dial Endowed Scholarship - Tiffany Locklear, Midland, N.C.
- Jane C. Oxendine Endowed Scholarship - Brittany Simmons, Lake Waccamaw, N.C.
- Jim Thorpe Scholarship - Betsy Herron, Wadesboro, N.C.
- Outstanding Biology Club Member - Allen K. Dirks, Marston, N.C.
- Most Active Biology Club Member - Adria A. Pontious, Fayetteville, N.C.
- Outstanding Biology Major - Allen K. Dirks, Marston, N.C.
- James Ebert Scholarship in Ecology - Mary E. Zets, Parkton, N.C.
- Dr. Robert F. Britt Memorial Scholarship in Botany - Ramsey F. Arram, Pembroke, N.C.
English, Theatre and Languages:
- Grave Loving Gibson Endowed Scholarship - Vanessa Galloway, San Diego, Cal.
- Sue Betty Locklear Endowed Memorial Scholarship - Daniela Newland, Germany
- John Green Memorial Endowed Scholarship - Candice Gooch, Creedmoor, N.C,
- John Green Endowed Memorial Scholarship - Susan K. Torgerson, Fayetteville, N.C
- Sue Betty Locklear Endowed Memorial Scholarship - Jane Layton, Hamlet, N.C.
- Max M. Weinstein Memorial Scholarship - James S. McMillan, Wagram, N.C.
- James C. Maynor Endowed Scholarship - Amanda F. Goforth, St. Pauls, N.C.
- Nancy Jones-Dorothy Hupp Memorial Scholarship - Susan K. Torgerson, Germany
- History faculty Scholarship - Rebecca L. Holston, Summerfield, N.C., and Jennifer L. Sechler, Morrisville, N.C.
- Outstanding History Student Award - Matthew W. Bobby, White Oak, N.C. and Troy C. Dempster, Fairmont, N.C.
- Sons of the Revolution Scholarship - Mary H. Gyves, Laurinburg, N.C.
Chemistry and Physics:
- American Institute of Chemists Outstanding Student Award - Bruce Pier, Fayetteville, N.C.
- Einstein Achievement in Physics Award - Terrell Dial, Rowland, N.C.
- NASA Scholarships La'Tanya R. Keels, Lumberton, N.C., Chico Locklear, Lumberton, N.C., Ryan Rodriguez, Fayetteville, N.C.
- Undergraduate Research Award - Leanne Stanley, Cameron, N.C.
- Chemistry and Physics Club Highest GPA Award - Bruce Pier, Fayetteville, N.C.
- Outstanding Pre-engineering Award - Melissa Bebb, Raeford, N.C.
- Undergraduate Award in Analytical Chemistry and the Professional Promise Award - Olga Tarkington, Laurinburg, N.C.
- Freshman Chemistry Award - Megan Grimsley, Laurinburg, N.C.
- Continuing in Chemistry Award - James Evans, Red Springs, N.C.
- Nursing Excellence Award - Laura Rosman, Laurinburg, N.C.
- Nursing Practice Award - Debbie Locklear, Maxton, N.C.
American Association of University Women Award:
- Tracey Gibson - Laurinburg, N.C.
- Myra Frederick - Freemont, N.C.