U.S. Army Captain Chris Hayes has been named the top scholar for 2001 by Alpha Chi, UNC Pembroke's national honor society.
A Georgia native, Capt. Hayes is a criminal justice major with a perfect grade point average. His 4.0 grade point average also entitles him to graduate with Summa Cum Laude honors.
He wore Alpha Chi's Medal of Honor at the Dec. 15 Winter Commencement.
Capt. Hayes is on active duty and will use his criminal justice degree as part of the Army's Military Police. He has already been accepted into to graduate school.
He said UNCP was the right choice for an undergraduate degree.
"The best thing about this university is the small classes," Capt. Hayes said. "It allows for interaction between students and professors."
"The instructors here actually care about their students," he said.
NEW ALPHA CHI MEMBERS
UNC Pembroke's Alpha Chi chapter introduced 35 new members this semester. UNCP has had an active chapter of Alpha Chi since 1975.
Members of Alpha Chi have distinguished themselves academically by placing in either the upper 5 percent of the junior class or the upper 10 percent of the senior class.
The faculty sponsors of the chapter are Kathryn K. Rileigh (professor, psychology, Linda Oxendine (chair, American Indian Studies) and Rudy Williams, professor, English).
The new initiates are:
- Cumberland County: Brian Bang, Malcolm C. Cosby, Kellie A. Franklin, Kristina K. Gleffe, Stephanie Porter Johnson, Jessica M. Kirkpatrick and Kim Weingarten, all of Cumberland County.
- Robeson County: Linda O. Chavis, Karen Kristy Dial, Nanci B. Feliciano, Mary Kathryn Inman, Jerry Wayne Lawson, and Victoria Speece.
- Scotland County: Ann C. Locklear, Jody L. Rendel and Edward Salley
- Hoke County: Laura L. Bowers, Keith Cordell Crist, and Katherine Elizabeth Southerland.
- Anson County: Keelie B. Carpenter and Stephanie Boyd White
- Harnett County: Matthew S. Manahan and Kathryn Fann Wood
- Moore County: Cynthia B. Edwards and Jeanmarie McDaniel
- Columbus County: Gary Matthew Staley and Phyllis Annelle Waldron
- Alissa D. Bishop of Wexford, Pennsylvania
- Caroline Victoria Dunnum of Johnston County
- James Ian Nicole of Onslow County
- Diana Lynn Rainwater of Richmond County.
- Sharon L. Saunders of Montgomery County.
- Laketa Rochelle Sutton of Pitt County.
- Jamie Noel Ellis of Wake County.
PSI CHI INDUCTEES
The UNC Pembroke Psi Chi chapter will induct six new members this Fall semester.
Psi Chi is UNCP's chapter of The National Honor Society in psychology, sponsored by the American Psychological Association.
The six new inductees are:
- Autumn T. Autry, Kristin M. Coleman and Sharon L. Costa all of Lumberton;
- Jessica M. Kirkpatrick and Toni N. Morgan of Fayetteville and
- Hillary R. Griffin of Snow Camp