A 15-member Chancellor Search Committee was unanimously approved on September 10 by the Board of Trustees of The University of North Carolina at Pembroke.
The committee is tasked with the responsibility of submitting candidates for the next UNCP chancellor. University of North Carolina President Erskine Bowles will receive the nominations on behalf of the Board of Governors, who may vote as early as April.
Board Chairwoman Dr. Freda Porter, who made the recommendations to the trustees, will chair the Search Committee. An alumna and former faculty member of the University, Dr. Porter said the committee will do an outstanding job.
“I was concerned that we needed to be as transparent as possible and I think we succeeded,” she said. “We were adamant that the committee be diverse on all counts.
“I believe this is a stellar group of outstanding individuals who are committed to this University,” Dr. Porter continued.
The Search Committee is comprised of five trustees, three faculty members, three community members, and one member each drawn from staff, students, alumni and the UNCP Foundation, Inc. In all, there are seven current and former faculty members and eight alumni on the committee.
- Trustees on the Search Committee include: Dr. Porter, Dr. Robin Cummings, a physician; Dr. Raymond Pennington, a former UNCP administrator and faculty member; Lorna Ricotta, an alumna and former UNCP administrator; and Dr. Breeden Blackwell, a retired educator and an alumnus;
- Faculty members include: Dr. Sherry Edwards, chairwoman of the Social Work Department; Dr. Mario Paparozzi, chairman of the Sociology and Criminal Justice Department; and Dr. Mary Ann Jacobs, chairwoman of the American Indian Studies Department;
- Community members include: Grady Hunt, an attorney and alumnus; Carolyn Robinson, owner of a health care company and an alumna; and Mac Campbell, an oil distributor and alumnus;
- The student representative is Arjay Quizon Jr., Student Government Association (SGA) president and member of the Board of Trustees;
- The staff representative is W. Steve Martin, assistant vice chancellor for Business Affairs-Facilities Maintenance;
- The alumni representative is Dr. Olivia Oxendine, former UNCP Alumni Association president and board member and current UNCP faculty member; and
- The Foundation representative is Kellie Blue, an alumna and finance director for Robeson County.
Letters went out in July to the Faculty Senate, Staff Council and SGA requesting nominations, and all trustees were invited to submit their names, Dr. Porter explained.
In a related matter, the Board of Trustees voted to entertain presentations from four executive search companies to the newly formed Search Committee for their consideration. They are Coleman Lew & Associates of Charlotte, N.C., Hodge Partners of Atlanta, Ga., Witt/Keiffer of Atlanta, and Greenwood/Asher & Associates of Miramar Beach, Fla.
Ann Lemmon, associate vice president for Human Resources at UNC General Administration, is advising UNCP’s chancellor search.
The selected executive search firm will assist the Search Committee in the selection process at every step including gathering of information from major stakeholders including faculty, staff and community.
A meeting of the Chancellor Search Committee will be held Tuesday, September 22, 2009 at 12:01 pm in the University Center Annex.
The meeting will serve as the kick-off for the chancellor search process and the review of search firm proposals.
For information about UNCP’s search, please contact University Attorney Joshua Malcolm at 910.521.6201.