UNC Pembroke’s campus will come alive on Monday, August 17, as residence halls open for new and returning students and Welcome Week begins. Fall semester classes begin on Wednesday.
School leaders are keeping an eye on enrollment numbers. First-year students may set an all-time record by topping 1,222, a record set in 2009. Transfer students are expected to set a record for the second consecutive year by surpassing 580.
First-year students will have more than 100 student-athletes available to assist them as they move into residence halls on Monday from 8 a.m. through noon. Move-in times are posted on the Housing and Residence Life.
First-year students will assemble on the Quad at 1:30 p.m. on Monday for the annual class photo and to follow Chancellor Robin Cummings on the traditional Brave Walk over the Water Feature to the Givens Performing Arts Center (GPAC), where they will be greeted by faculty and the Spirit of the Carolinas Marching Band.
Convocation begins at 2 p.m. in GPAC. Convocation is the ceremonial opening of the new school year. Chancellor Cummings will welcome students.
As classes begin on Wednesday, welcome tents will appear at three key locations across campus to offer snacks, drinks and campus maps. Some Brave spirit, a friendly smile and assistance will get students get off to great start in the new semester.
Students are advised to get a Welcome Week schedule and look for events with the labels “Free Food” and “Prizes.” New students can also get involved by attending First Year Engagement Week Events from September 7 – 12. Engagement Week will be capped on by the 9/11 Day of Service.
Diverse groups of students – nursing, honors college, international students, American Indian students among others – all have special events scripted for them. Events are planned for all students to meet people and to get involved in campus life.
For a complete list please see the Welcome Week schedule. Here are some highlights:
- Hawk Fest PaintU party is Monday, August 17, 9 p.m. – midnight. It’s no average dance party.
- Sorority Information Night is 4 – 8 p.m. Tuesday, August 18, in the University Center Lounge and again on August 26, 6 – 8 p.m. in the University Center (U.C.) Annex.
- First Night is Tuesday for freshman to meet at the Bell Tower on the Quad at 8:45 p.m. Begin the journey with a free gift.
- Student Health Open House is Wednesday, August 19, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. with free food and prizes. Never know when you’ll need them.
- Hump Day is a Wednesday campus tradition, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., with music and free snacks in the U.C. Mall.
- Jelly Rox will perform on Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the U.C. Annex
- Part-time Job Fair is Thursday, August 20, 11 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. in the U.C. Lounge. Make contacts for jobs on campus and off.
- Involvement Fair is noon – 6 p.m., Thursday, on the U.C. Lawn. Sign up for clubs, volunteering and become an engaged student.
- Throwback Thursday features the film “Space Jam” at 8 p.m. in the U.C. Lounge. Free food.
- Transfer Student Cookout is 11 a.m. on Friday, August 21 at the Water Feature. Free food.
- Brave Cultural Fest is Friday beginning at 6 p.m.in the U.C. Annex.
- HAWKins Dance party is Friday, 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., in the U.C. Annex. Show us what you got!
- BraveQUEST begins at 10 a.m. on Saturday, August 22, in the U.C. Annex. Small team competition with free food and prizes while students learn what it takes to be Brave.
- BraveNation Bash is a giant get together on the U.C. Lawn on Saturday, 6 – 11 p.m., with free food and prizes.
- Rock the Quad Block Party is a meet and greet featuring many student services on Saturday, 11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m., with free food and prizes.
- Meet the Greeks on Monday, August 24, 6 – 9 p.m., in the University Center Annex.
- Fitness classes begin Tuesday, August 25 at noon and again at 5:15 p.m. in the Jones Athletic Center Dance Room
- Ice Cream Social is 1 – 4 p.m. on Tuesday, August 25 in the University Center Lounge
There is plenty more so pick up the Welcome Week schedule for loads of fun.