UNCP hosts 4th BioAg Symposium on Feb. 7
UNC Pembroke will host the 4th Annual Farm Bureau BioAg Symposium on Thursday, February 7, from 8:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Regional Center at COMtech.
The theme for the event is “Biotechnology and Entrepreneurship in Agriculture.” Agricultural scientists and entrepreneurs from across North Carolina will be on hand to share their expertise on subjects like alternative energy, biotechnology and bees.
UNCP’s Biotechnology Training and Research Center organizes the annual event, which is sponsored by Farm Bureau Robeson.
For more information about the BioAg Symposium, please contact Angela Hunt at the Robeson Farm Bureau: 910.738.7171 or Dr. Len Holmes at UNCP Biotechnology Center: 910.521.6650.
- 8:45 - 9 a.m. - WELCOME - Farm Bureau and Dr. Len Holmes
- 9 - 9:30 -“Columbus County Alternative Energy and AgBiotechnology Complex” with Rebecca Westbrooks, Southeastern Community College Agricultural Biotechnology
- 9:30 - 10:15 - “Economic and Commercial Potential of Algae Production” with Dr. Kim Jones & Michelle Sabaoun, Brunswick Community College Biotechnology
10:15 - 10:30 - Break
- 10:30 – 11 - “Introduction to Cellulosic Ethanol” with Mark Stevens of Novozymes Corp., a global biotechnology company in North Carolina
- 11:00-11:45 - “Life in the Apiary: Challenges and Opportunities for Bees and their Sustainability” Dr. Reginald Oxendine Jr.. local beekeeper in UNCP’s apiary program
11:45 - 12:45 p.m. - Lunch
- 12:45 - 1:30 p.m. - “Understanding Growth of Microbial Symbionts Associated with Insect-parasitic Nematodes” with Matt Bowen, UNCP’s Farm Bureau Scholar
1:30 - 1:45 - Break
- 1:45 - 2:15 - “Developing an Entrepreneurial Environment for Rural Southeastern North Carolina” with Dr. Michael Menefee, UNCP Thomas Family Distinguished Professor of Entrepreneurship
- 2:15 - 3:15 - “UNC Pembroke Agricultural Biotechnology Research Supported by Entrepreneurship Development” with Floyd Inman, research director of UNCP Biotechnology Research and Training Center
- 3:15-3:30 - ADJOURNMENT - Dr. Len Holmes, director UNCP Biotechnology Center
Return to University Newswire