The Pine Needle was founded in 1947
at The University of North Carolina at Pembroke
The Pine Needle has received 23 awards in the last six years.
In 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014, the American Scholastic Press Association awarded The Pine Needle first place in their annual newspaper competition among all universities with more than 2,500 students. The 2014 honor ranked the paper among the best in the United States for the sixth year in a row.
The ASPA gave additional awards to the newspaper, Best Sports Section in 2009 and Outstanding Sports Section in 2014, making the paper a double award winner for those two years. In 2012, ASPA awarded outstanding sports coverage to The Pine Needle, again making the paper a multiple award winner. In 2011, the newspaper received ASPA awards for feature writing and news writing. In 2013, The Pine Needle was awarded Outstanding Story – Non-School Related by the ASPA. The overall first place award in 2013 was "with special merit" for outstanding content and design.
In 2010, the North Carolina College Media Association awarded The Pine Needle Best of Show for Online News Site. The NCCMA made other awards to the newspaper in 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014, including awards for online news, feature writing, sports writing, news writing, infographics, and page design.
The staff is proud of the fact that theirs is among the best student newspapers in the U.S.
History of The Pine Needle
The Pine Needle was founded in 1947. At that time, the school was known as Pembroke State College for Indians. In 1949, the school was renamed Pembroke State College. The school was opened to all qualified applicants without regard to race in 1954. It became Pembroke State University in 1969 and The University of North Carolina at Pembroke in 1996. UNCP History >
The Pine Needle was associated with the university's Department of Communicative Arts until 1998 when the elements of that department were redistributed. Journalism moved into the new Department of Mass Communications and The Pine Needle went with it.
Today, the newspaper is advised by a member of the Mass Communications faculty, Dr. Judy Curtis, who integrates the publication into the preparation offered mass communication students for careers in newspaper and Web journalism, print media, and other Internet media. In fact, The Pine Needle provides an active journalism learning laboratory for students. Majors and non-majors work side-by-side to earn academic credit for writing, editing, designing and publishing the newspaper 14 times a year with a total of 20 to 36 pages in two sections in each issue.
The Pine Needle began publishing an online edition in 2003. Dr. Anthony Curtis of the Mass Communications Department faculty advises the editors about the convergence of print and online media as they publish the Web and electronic versions of The Pine Needle, including video packages and podcasts.
The newspaper is located in room 253 in Old Main, the oldest brick building on campus and the building with columns known as the most recognizable symbol of UNCP.
Old Main is on the southeast corner of campus. It is number 1 on the campus map.
The newspaper offices are on the second floor near the Mass Communications Department office, classrooms, and faculty offices.
The Pine Needle
PO Box 1510
253 Old Main
Pembroke, NC 28372
Phones and email