THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT PEMBROKE (UNCP)
Center for Science and Technology
Operating under the auspices of the Departments of Chemistry and Physics, and Biology
Ten (10) faculty members who hold the Ph.D. degree in relevant fields
Impressive collection of modern equipment and instrumentation housed in seven laboratories. Relevant laboratories include: 1) Molecular Biotechnology Laboratory, 2) Molecular Visualization Facility, 3) Spectroscopy Lab-NMR AFM
Five years experience in developing a comprehensive biotechnology program
People involved in the Center for Science and Technology share a vision of how science education can play a major role in technology development in the 21st century. The hallmark of the Center is an academic and industrial collaborative partnership comprising faculty, scientists, and administrators. Science graduates have a broad understanding of scientific and engineering concepts, proficiency in advanced technology, and an awareness of the social context in science and technology careers. Partnership members work together to implement strategies to realize this vision.
The Center for Science and Technology will conduct a coherent, sustained program of research and development using a well-conceptualized and theoretically sound framework. Integrated biotechnology goals of UNCP are in direct agreement with its Comprehensive Biotechnology Five-Year Plan:
- Develop an integrated, sustainable program, facilitated by more diverse funding activities.
- Develop partnership with the North Carolina biotechnology industry for mutual benefit, and to develop employment opportunities for qualified, graduating seniors.
- Increase regional awareness of biotechnological issues and economical opportunities.
- Create a systematic outreach program to inform high schools and community colleges of the educational opportunities at UNCP, and increase the pipeline of minority students into the comprehensive biotechnology program at UNCP.
- Provide computational and laboratory supplies and equipment for biotechnology education at UNCP.
- Provide professional and developmental opportunities for biotechnology faculty and access for interdisciplinary work.
The Department of Chemistry and Physics curriculum in Molecular Biotechnology.
|General Chemistry||Biochemistry I, II||Organic Chemistry||Bioseparations||Bioanalytical Chemistry||Inorganic Chemistry|
|Calculus||Microbiology||Cell Biology||Biotechnology I, II||Analytical Chemistry I, II||Bioprocessing|
|Physical Chemistry I, II||Physics||Biophysics||Statistics||Research|
The Center for Science and Technology has established an Industrial Advisory Board. The members of the board represent innovative technology companies who are concerned with the growth and stability of North Carolina technology-based industry. The Advisory Board convenes each semester for review, analysis and evaluation of the Center's activities, goals and progress. The Board examines curriculum for relevance to industry needs, and provides guidance in tailoring curriculum and research in a comprehensive way. It is the Center's intent to develop a career-based program providing theory into practice opportunities.