The English E. Jones Health and Physical Education Center (1972, 2005), named for English E. Jones, president and chancellor of UNCP from 1962-1979, houses the Department of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation and has two gymnasiums, a natatorium with a swimming pool and diving tank, Campbell Wellness Center, a physiology laboratory, and a small lecture hall.
Jones Health and Physical Center
English E. Jones
Dr. English E. Jones became UNCP’s first American Indian president in 1962. Dr. Jones was born October 22, 1921, to the late James and Elizabeth Jones. Literally plucked from a cotton field to be educated at James K. Brayboy’s school, Dr. Jones’ talent was evident at an early age. He worked his way through school at odd jobs. From a position teaching agriculture, Dr. Jones rose to preside over one of the most remarkable periods of enrollment and construction growth in university history. Enrollment soared to 2,334 from 758 during his tenure from 1962-79.
Besides his namesake building, Dr. Jones built 12 buildings including the Givens Performing Arts Center, the Business Administration and Education buildings and the Mary H. Livermore Library. He also rebuilt and expanded Old Main, the University’s oldest building.
On May 10, 1981, Dr. Jones received the first honorary degree awarded by the university.
Dr. Jones passed away May 18, 1981.