• campus Alert ✖CLOSE

    Piedmont Natural Gas has restored service to campus this evening. As a result of the work performed today there will be detours on Faculty Row for both vehicles and pedestrians. Please use extreme caution and do not attempt to go around the barricades.

    Facilities and Piedmont Natural Gas personnel will continue working with the natural gas infrastructure on campus throughout the week. Service disruption is not anticipated, but could be possible. This work is being performed to make every effort to maintain a safe and healthy campus environment. 

    Dining services will resume standard operations for Sunday, January 22. We appreciate your patience today and apologize for any inconvenience.

Map of Campus
Map of Campus
UNCP Home Maps Directions Belk Residence Hall
  • FONT SIZE
  • A
  • A

Belk Residence Hall

Mary Irwin Belk Residence Hall (1970) serves as a women's residence hall.

Belk Residence Hall is named after Mary Irwin Belk, mother of Irwin Belk, former president and CEO of Belk Stores.

Belk Residence Hall 

Belk Residence Hall

Mary Irwin Belk 

Mary Irwin Belk
(1882-1968)

Mary Irwin Belk, the former Mary Leonora Irwin, was born in Charlotte, N.C., on March 3, 1882, the daughter of Dr. John R. Irwin and Margaret Henderson Irwin.

She graduated in 1901 from Presbyterian College, now Queens College of Charlotte. She taught in the elementary grades of Charlotte public schools until her marriage to William Henry Belk, the founder of the Belk department stores, on June 9, 1915.

A member of the Board of Trustees of Queens College, she served as president of the Queens College Alumnae Association and in May, 1957, was recipient of the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award from Queens College.

For many years Belk was active in various historical and civic organizations. Her special interest was in the work of Crossnore School at Crossnore in the Blue Ridge Mountains, where she helped underprivileged mountain children. She was a member of the Board of Trustees and Executive Committee of Crossnore School. She was also greatly interested in Presbyterian Home for Children at Barium Springs. For many years she was a member of the Board of Trustees of Alexander Home of Charlotte.

Belk passed away February 6, 1968.

The dedication of the building was made possible by a donation from the Belk family of Charlotte, to recognize Mrs. Belk's love and concern for education and also some of her many accomplishments.