How to Access UNCP’s Wireless Network
Some manufacturers bundle custom user interfaces to some laptops wireless card. The instructions below assume that you are using the standard Windows XP interface. However, the same general methodology will work regardless of what software is used.
- Verify you are at a location on campus that has wireless access. A complete list of locations is available at http://www.uncp.edu/doit/wireless/.
- Verify that the laptop’s wireless antenna is on. Normally a button or switch on the keyboard or body of the laptop controls this.
- Locate the icon that represents your wireless network in your system tray and double click on it.
- The "Wireless Network Connection" window should open. Review the list of wireless networks that are available. Locate "uncpairnet". If “uncpairnet” is not listed, click on "Refresh network list."
- Highlight "uncpairnet" and select "Connect."
- You may be prompted that you are selecting an insecure network. If prompted select "Connect Anyway."
- Open a browser and enter any simple URL such as www.google.com.
- The first time you connect to the wireless, you will be redirected to a registration page. Once you have read and completed the form, click on “Submit”. Please proceed to restart your computer when prompted to do so.
- Once your computer reboots, reconnect to the wireless. Repeat steps 1-5 if necessary.
- Your browser will be redirected to a login page once you log in with your usual university username and password. You will then be connected to the Internet. You will not have to register your computer again, although you will need to log in whenever you connect to the wireless in this fashion.
Tuesday, October 20, 2009