THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT PEMBROKE
Mission of the University
History of the University of North Carolina at Pembroke
Academic Services and Facilities
MISSION OF THE UNIVERSITY
The University of North Carolina at Pembroke is a comprehensive University committed to academic excellence in a balanced program of teaching, research, and service.† It offers a broad range of degrees and nationally accredited professional programs at the bachelorís level and selected programs at the masterís level.† Combining the opportunities available in a large university with the personal attention characteristic of a small college, the University provides an intellectually challenging environment created by a faculty dedicated to effective teaching, interaction with students, and scholarship. Graduates are academically and personally prepared for rewarding careers, postgraduate education, and community leadership.
Founded in 1887 to educate American Indians, the University now serves a student body reflective of the rich cultural diversity of American society.†† As it stimulates interaction within and among its cultural groups, the University enables its students to become informed, principled, and tolerant citizens with a global perspective.
The university encourages the pursuit of education as a lifelong experience so that its graduates will be equipped to meet the challenges of the twenty-first century.† Drawing strength from† its heritage, The University of North Carolina at Pembroke continues to expand its leadership role in enriching the intellectual, economic, social, and cultural life of the region and beyond.
In support of this mission, The University of North Carolina at Pembroke is committed: (1.) to promote excellence in teaching and learning as a primary focus in an environment of free inquiry and dynamic exchange between students and faculty; (2.) to ensure quality academic programs and learning opportunities for the liberal arts, in preparation for diverse professions and for service to the region; (3.) to encourage and support meaningful faculty research and development; (4.) to recruit and retain students capable of achieving academic and professional success and of enriching the intellectual, cultural, and social community of the University; (5.) to provide and support extra‑curricular and student life activities and facilities designed to enrich the educational experience of residential and commuter students, enhance the image of the University, and serve the region; (6.) to provide ways by which the life of the region can benefit the educational experience of the University and be enhanced by the University; (7.) to instill in University of North Carolina at Pembroke students a continuing appreciation for diverse cultures and an active concern for the well‑being of others; (8.) to promote academic and scholarly excellence, the Universityís rich heritage, and the enhancement of the immediate and larger region.
HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT PEMBROKE
On March 7, 1887 the General Assembly of North Carolina enacted legislation sponsored by Representative Hamilton McMillan of Robeson County creating the Croatan Normal School. The law, which was in response to a petition from the Indian people of the area, established a Board of Trustees and appropriated five hundred dollars to be used only for salaries. A building was constructed by the local people at a site about one mile west of the present location, and the school opened with fifteen students and one teacher in the fall of 1887. For many years the instruction was at the elementary and secondary level, and the first diploma was awarded in 1905.
The school was moved to its present location in Pembroke, the center of the Indian community, in 1909. The General Assembly changed the name of the institution in 1911 to the Indian Normal School of Robeson County, and again in 1913 to the Cherokee Indian Normal School of Robeson County. In 1926 the Board of Trustees added a two‑year normal program beyond high school and phased out elementary instruction. The first ten diplomas were awarded in 1928, when the state accredited the school as a ďstandard normal school.Ē
Additional college classes were offered beginning in 1931, and in 1939 a fourth year was added with the first degrees conferred in 1940. In recognition of its new status, the General Assembly changed the name of the school in 1941 to Pembroke State College for Indians. Until 1953 it was the only state‑supported four‑year college for Indians in the nation. The scope of the institution was widened in 1942 when non‑teaching baccalaureate degrees were added, and in 1945 when enrollment, previously limited to the Indians of Robeson County, was opened to people from all federally‑recognized Indian groups. A few years later, in 1949, the General Assembly shortened the name to Pembroke State College.
The Board of Trustees approved the admission of White students up to forty percent of the total enrollment in 1953 and, following the Supreme Courtís school desegregation decision, opened the College to all qualified applicants without regard to race in 1954. Growth of over five hundred percent followed during the next eight years. In 1969 the General Assembly changed the name again to Pembroke State University and made the institution a regional university. Such universities were authorized ďto provide undergraduate and graduate instruction in liberal arts, fine arts, and science, and in the learned professions, including teachingĒ and to ďprovide other graduate and undergraduate programs of instruction as are deemed necessary to meet the needs of their constituencies and of the State.Ē
Three years later, in 1972, the General Assembly established the sixteen‑campus University of North Carolina with Pembroke State University as one of the constituent institutions. The new structure was under the control of the Board of Governors, which was to coordinate the system of higher education, improve its quality, and encourage economical use of the stateís resources. The Board of Governors approved the implementation of masterís programs in professional education by Pembroke State University in 1978, as well as several new undergraduate programs. Since that time additional baccalaureate programs have been added, including nursing, and masterís level programs have been implemented in Business Administration, Public Administration, School Counseling, and Service Agency Counseling.
The University of North Carolina at Pembroke celebrated its centennial in 1987. On July 1, 1996, Pembroke State University officially became The University of North Carolina at Pembroke.
In 2000, a major in applied physics and four new master of arts programs were added. An office of International Programs and a University Honors College were also instituted to enhance scholarship.† Since then, the University has added new baccalaureate programs, including Spanish and environmental science, as well as new graduate degrees, including the Master of School Administration (M.S.A.) and the Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.).† Many classes at the undergraduate and graduate levels are available through distance learning, including the Internet.
The University of North Carolina at Pembroke occupies 126 acres along the western edge of the town of Pembroke in Robeson County, North Carolina.† It is easily accessible by automobile, ten miles from Interstate 95 and two miles from U.S. 74.† Commercial airline service is available at the Fayetteville Municipal Airport, Grannis Field, and at the Southern Pines/Pinehurst Airport, each 40 miles from the campus.† A map of the University campus is available on the University website at www.uncp.edu/map.
The main entrance is on Odum Road, which runs north from NC 711. Here Lumbee Hall (1995) houses the Chancellorís Office and the Offices of Academic Affairs, Graduate Studies, Business Affairs, Student Affairs, Enrollment Management, and Advancement, as well as Admissions (undergraduate and graduate), the Registrar, Financial Aid, the Controller, Institutional Research, Legal Services (University Attorney), and Alumni Relations.†
Also on the north end of campus are the Walter J. Pinchbeck Maintenance Building (2004), named for a UNCP superintendent of buildings and grounds, which houses offices and garage facilities for university vehicles, and the Adolph L. Dial Humanities Building (1980), named for a professor of American Indian history, which houses the Departments of English, Theatre, and Languages; History; and Political Science and Public Administration as well as the University Writing Center, a computer lab, an oral language lab, a lecture theatre, the English Resource Center, and the office of the Indianhead yearbook. The English E. Jones Health and Physical Education Center (1972), named for a UNCP Chancellor, houses the Department of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation and has two gymnasiums, a natatorium with a swimming pool and diving tank, a wellness center, a physiology laboratory, and a small lecture hall.† The Givens Performing Arts Center (1975), named for UNCP Chancellor Paul R. Givens, houses the Theatre Arts program and provides an amphitheater‑style auditorium for an audience of 1700.†
In the center of campus, the Business Administration Building (1969) houses the School of Business and the Department of Sociology, Social Work, and Criminal Justice as well as the College Opportunity Program, a computer lab, and the Interactive Video Facility.† The Education Center (1976) houses the School of Education, the Office of Teacher Education and its curriculum and computer labs, the Teaching Fellows program, and the Departments of Psychology and Counseling and Philosophy and Religion.† The Nursing Department is housed in the Nursing Building (1965, 1987).†††
Also centrally located are university facilities. In the James B. Chavis University Center (1987), named for a Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs, the lower level houses the Information Booth, cafeteria, snack bar, Post Office boxes, a bowling alley, TV/games areas, and student and faculty lounges; on the second floor are a Commuter Lounge, the Counseling and Testing Center, Career Services Center, Student Activities Office, and Student Government offices.†† The D. F. Lowry Building (1965), named after the first graduate of the Indian Normal School, contains the University Bookstore, Continuing Education and Distance Education, Upward Bound, Student Support Programs, Center for Adult Learners, Freshman Seminar, Disability Support Services, Police and Public Safety, and a study room.† Student Health Services (1967) has examination and treatment rooms and 22 inpatient beds. The Business Services Building (1977) receives deliveries and houses the Campus Post Office, the Print Shop, and the Office of Purchasing Services, as well as Receiving and Central Stores.† The Irwin Belk Track and Soccer Complex (2002) includes a stadium for soccer and track and field† and other athletic facilities.† The West Office Building (2001) houses the Office of International Programs; adjacent to it, in the Dogwood Office Building, are the Center for Sponsored Research and Programs and the Family Life Center.
The south of campus is a quadrangle with a pond and amphitheater, a bell tower, and a gazebo.† Locklear Hall† (1950), named for Robeson County educator Anderson Locklear, houses classrooms and studios of the Art Department.† Moore Hall (1951), named for Rev. W. L. Moore, the first teacher at the Indian Normal School, contains the Music Department classrooms, auditorium, library, and studios, as well as an annex with practice rooms and facilities for the university band and chorus. Jacobs Hall† (1961), named for Board of Trustees chair Rev. L. W. Jacobs, houses the Media Center and Braves Card office, ROTC, the office of University and Community Relations, and other offices.† The Herbert G. Oxendine Science Building (1967, 2004), named for an Academic Dean, provides classrooms, laboratories, computer labs, and offices for the departments of Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and Mathematics and Computer Science. An addition houses the Office of University Computing and Information Services.†
To the south of the quadrangle, on NC 711, is the Sampson-Livermore Library (1967, 1997), named after Oscar R. Sampson, a Chair of the UNCP Board of Trustees, and Mary Livermore, a religion professor.† The library houses approximately 300,000 volumes, 1,500 periodical titles, the University Archives, and a depository for U.S. government documents; it provides access to extensive electronic resources.† Next door is historic Old Main (1923, restored 1979).† Its first floor houses the Multicultural Center, the television station (WNCP-TV), and the Native American Resource Center.† On the second floor are the offices of the College of Arts and Sciences; the Departments of American Indian Studies and Mass Communications; Geology and Geography; the Teaching and Learning Center; the University Honors College; and the student newspaper, The Pine Needle.
Most residence halls for students are located near the center of campus.† In addition to Pine Hall †(2000), a coeducational dormitory, there are two womenís dormitories,† Mary Irwin Belk Hall †(1970) and North Hall (1972), and two menís dormitories: Wellons Hall (1965), named for university President Ralph D. Wellons; and West Hall (1965).† The University Village Apartments (2003) are at the north end of the campus.† The Chancellorís Residence (1952, 1999) is located on the western edge of the campus.
The Regional Center for Economic, Community, and Professional Development is located off campus at the Carolina Commerce and Technology Center (COMTech) on Livermore Drive.