Locklear Hall (1950, 2005), named for Robeson County educator Anderson Locklear, houses classrooms, an art gallery and studios of the Art Department.
"Anderson Locklear two years ago went to Washington, had an audience with the President and was told by the latter of his appreciation of Locklear’s invitation to visit North Carolina...The President said that the history of the tribe greatly interested him."
Seeking federal assistance for the American Indian schools in Robeson County, Anderson Locklear had an audience with President Theodore Roosevelt in 1907.
Locklear (1870-1934) was the son of John Archie and Margaret Ann Locklear of the Prospect community. He was one of 13 children. Because of Anderson's poor health as a child, his father urged him to pursue a career in education.
Locklear began his education at an American Indian “subscription school” at Old Prospect in 1877. When the State of North Carolina established the Croatan Normal School near Pembroke in 1887, Locklear entered the new institution as a member of the first class. He attended the school for two years and was one of the first graduates.
Locklear went on to teach and served with distinction for 42 years. During his career, he served as a principal and/or teacher at Barton, Prospect, Union Chapel, New Hope, Angus Locklear, and Pembroke Graded schools. He also served on the University's Board of Trustees from 1923 until his death in 1934.
Locklear Hall on the campus of UNC Pembroke proudly bears his name. Constructed in 1950, Locklear Hall originally served the needs of the science and agricultural departments. Today, it houses the Art Department. A $2 million renovation completed in 2005 added many new spaces including a new gallery, studios and offices for faculty.