• weather Alert ✖CLOSE

    UNC Pembroke is open under standard hours today, Friday 2.12.16.

Admissions & Aid
Admissions & Aid
  • A
  • A

Summer School Policies

Credit/Semester Hours

The majority of summer session courses carry three (3) semester hours credit and requires one-five week session. A limited number of basic courses in sciences carry four (4) semester hours credit. Student LoadUndergraduate students may schedule a maximum of seven semester hours during each five-week term. However, registration for MayMester (pre-session) will be limited to one course.

Grading System (Undergraduate)

A letter grade and plus-minus system for evaluating academic performance is used for evaluating all undergraduate students. Each letter grade has a quality point value for each semester hour it represents. The hour and quality points are used in determining a student’s grade point average for a semester’s work and in averaging grades for all work completed to find a student’s cumulative quality point average. The letter grades and quality points represented by each, as of January 1, 1989 are listed in the chart that follows. The “P” grade is earned in designated courses and carries semester hour’s credit. However, the hours are not counted in quality hours. Quality hours are the hours used in figuring quality point averages. The “I”, or incomplete grade is given when a student is unable to complete required work because of an unavoidable circumstance such as illness. It is not to be given to enable a student to do additional work to improve a grade. An incomplete must be removed within one semester (excluding summer term) or the University Registrar will automatically convert it to a grade of “F”. In determination of quality hours and quality point averages, an “I” is counted as an “F” until it is removed. The “W” grade is assigned when a student withdraws from a course during the designated drop-add period or when special permission is granted to withdraw. When a student receives a “W” grade, the grade is recorded, but the semester hours attempted is not counted as quality hours. Audited classes are listed on the permanent record. They are designated by the letters “AU”. The AU’s and W’s will be listed as attempted hours, but not as quality hours for figuring quality point averages.

Guidelines for Overloads

  1. Permission to register for an overload is normally granted when the overload enables the student to complete graduation requirements during the current summer term or by the end of the fall semester.
  2. Overload consideration is given to individuals with degrees. In many instances, these requests are job related and the individual can only study during the summer.
  3. Students from other universities may request overloads. The guidelines established at UNC Pembroke will apply and not the guidelines at the home institution.

NOTE: Forms to request permission for overloads can be picked up in the Registrar’s Office. Complete the form, obtain advisor’s signature and return to the Academic Affairs Office.

Auditing a Course

All persons, whether regularly enrolled in the University or not, who desire to audit a course must secure the permission of the instructor and the Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. Audits may not be added to a student’s schedule after the last day to add a class. The fee charged for auditing a course will be the same as if the course were taken for credit. For non-matriculating students, a copy of the receipt of payment from the Cashier’s Office and a copy of the permission letter from the Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs must be filed with the instructor at the beginning of the course. Students who are regularly enrolled at the University must file a copy of the permission letter from the Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs with the instructor at the beginning of the course. Audited classes are listed on the permanent record and are designated by the letters “AU”. Class participation by and requirements of auditors are at the discretion of the instructor. Audit forms available through Academic Affairs.

Dropping and Adding Courses

After a student has completed registration, the only way the student’s schedule can be changed is through the drop-add procedure. To drop and/or add a course, a student must obtain a Drop/Add form from an academic department, complete the form have it approved by his or her advisor, obtain the signature of the losing and/or gaining professor and present the form to the Cashier’s Office and the Office of the Registrar. A student may withdraw from the course after the drop-add period but prior to and including the eighth day of the summer session (see calendar) with a grade of “W” if the student obtains the signature of the instructor and the advisor. In addition, a student who is withdrawing from the University, and who follows the prescribed procedure for withdrawal from the University will receive a “W”. An “F” is given when a student withdraws from a course under any other conditions.

Withdrawal Policy

Up to the last day to receive a “W” in a course, a student may complete a “Request for Withdrawal” form, available from the Office of the Registrar. The student should get the required signatures, take the I.D. card to the Student Accounts Receivable Office, and return the form to the Office of the Registrar. The University makes applicable refunds only after the withdrawal procedure is completed. After the last day to receive a “W” in a course, the Office of Academic Affairs approves withdrawal from the University without academic penalty only when unusual circumstances warrant. Unsatisfactory academic performance does not by itself meet the requirement. Students petitioning to withdraw from the University must meet with the Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, present the required documentation, and complete the necessary forms. Approved requests receive “W” in all courses. Students who stop attending classes without completing the withdrawal procedure ordinarily receive an “F” in courses for which they are registered.

Class Attendance

Regular class attendance is important to the educational experience of each student and to the academic integrity of the University curriculum. Students are expected to attend every class beginning with the first session. No matter what the cause, an absence from class does not relieve the student from any course requirement. Instructors have the discretion to determine how the attendance policy will be implemented in their classes, the circumstances under which make up work may be allowed, and whether attendance will be used as a criterion in determining the final grade. Excessive absences may result in failure. Faculty is encouraged to distribute a written statement of their policy. Students should not enroll in a course if participation in University-sponsored activities will cause them to miss an excessive number of classes, as determined by the instructor. Students whose absences impair their academic performance may be referred to the Coordinator.

Notice Concerning the Inspection and Release of Students Records at UNCP

The University of North Carolina at Pembroke complies with all provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. The full statement of the University’s Policy is available in the Office of the Registrar located in Lumbee Hall. With some exceptions, students have the right to inspect and to challenge the contents of their education records. Access to academic records is coordinated through the Registrar’s Office. Students wishing to inspect their records should contact the Registrar in Lumbee Hall between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, while the University is in session. The University routinely releases to the public so-called Directory Information, as follows: the student’s name, address, telephone listing, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and previous educational agency or institution attended by the student. Any student who wishes to have the above Directory Information withheld must complete and sign a request in the Registrar’s Office. This request must be renewed at the beginning of each semester.

Administration of the University of North Carolina: Annual Notification of Rights

Certain personally identifiable information about students (“education records”) may be maintained at the University of North Carolina General Administration, which serves the Board of Governors of the University system. This student information may be the same as, or derivative of, information maintained by a constituent institution of the University; or it may be additional information. Whatever their origins, education records maintained at General Administration are subject to the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA).

FERPA provides that a student may inspect his or her education records. If the student finds the records to be inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights, the student may request amendment to the record. FERPA also provides that a student’s personally identifiable information may not be released to someone else unless (1) the student has given a proper consent for disclosure or (2) provisions of FERPA or federal regulations issued pursuant to FERPA permit the information to be released without the student’s consent.

A student may file with the U.S. Department of Education a complaint concerning failure of General Administration or an institution to comply with FERPA. The policies of The University of North Carolina General Administration concerning FERPA may be inspected in the office at each constituent institution designated to maintain the FERPA policies of the institution. Policies of General Administration may also be accessed in the Office of the Secretary of The University of North Carolina, General Administration, 910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC.

Further details about FERPA and FERPA procedures at General Administration are to be found in the referenced policies. Questions about the policies may be directed to:

Legal Section, Office of the President,
The University of North Carolina,
General Administration, Annex Building,
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515;
(mailing address: P.O. Box 2688, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688; phone: 919-962-4588).

Summer School Refund Policy

(This policy is subject to change.)


    Withdrawals: Tuition and Fees, including room and board, for summer sessions will be refunded per the following schedule, provided a student officially withdraws from the University and is not attend ng the University for the first time and receiving financial assistance through Federal Title IV student aid programs. A first-time student under the Title IV program is eligible for a pro-rata refund through 60 percent of the enrollment period.


    • Prior to the first day of classes 100% of fees paid
    • 1 through 9 calendar days 50% of fees paid
    • After 9 calendar days NO REFUND


    • Prior to the first day of classes 100% of fees paid
    • 1 through 6 calendar days 50% of fees paid
    • After 6 calendar days NO REFUND


    • Prior to the first day of classes 100% of fees paid
    • 1 through 6 calendar days 50% of fees paid
    • After 6 calendar days NO REFUND

    We begin counting days with the first official day of classes (not the first day of a particular class). A completed withdrawal form must be filed with the Student Accounts Office in Lumbee Hall. Forms for withdrawals during the first 9 calendar days of First and Second Summer Sessions and the first 6 calendar days of Intra Session may be obtained from the Registrar’s Office.

    Reducing hours: Students who officially drop from full-time to part-time status or who drop to a lower block of credit hours will receive a refund equal to the difference between the amount paid and the charge for the block of hours for which the student officially registered at the end of the registration (drop/add) period. Refunds for withdrawing or reducing hours will be processed after the registration period. Please allow two weeks for processing of any refund. Students receiving financial aid will not receive a refund until the Financial Aid Office determines if any portion of the refund needs to be repaid to the awarding agency.


    The University will refund all but $25 of the room deposit to incoming new students if written cancellation is received by July 31, preceding the fall semester and November 30 preceding the spring semester. The room deposit is nonrefundable after these deadlines.

Residence Status For Tuition Purposes

The basis for determining the appropriate tuition charge rests upon whether a student is a resident or a nonresident for tuition purposes. Each student must make a statement as to the length of his or her residence in North Carolina, with assessment by the institution of that statement to be conditioned by the following.

RESIDENCE. To qualify as a resident for tuition purposes, a person must become a legal resident and remain a legal resident for at least twelve months immediately prior to classification. Thus, there is a distinction between legal residence and residence for tuition purposes. Furthermore, twelve months legal residence means more than simple abode in North Carolina. In particular it means maintaining a domicile (permanent home of indefinite duration) as opposed to “maintaining a mere temporary residence or abode incident to enrollment in an institution of higher education.” The burden of establishing facts which justify classification of a student as a resident entitled to in-state tuition rates is on the applicant for such classification, who must show his or her entitlement by the preponderance (the greater part) of the residentiary information.

INITIATIVE. Being classified as a resident for tuition purposes is contingent on the student’s seeking such status and providing all information that the institution may require in making the determination.

PARENT’S DOMICILE. If an individual, irrespective of age, has living parent(s) or court-appointed guardian of the person, the domicile of such parent(s) or guardian is prima facie, the domicile of the individual’s; but this prima facie evidence of the individual’s domicile may or may not be sustained by other information. Further, nondomiciliary status of parents is not deemed prima facie evidence of the applicant child’s status if the applicant has lived (though not necessarily legally resided) in North Carolina for the five years preceding enrollment or re-registration.

EFFECT OF MARRIAGE. Marriage alone does not prevent a person from becoming or continuing to be a resident for tuition purposes, nor does marriage in any circumstances insure that a person will become or continue to be a resident for tuition purposes. Marriage and the legal residence of one’s spouse are, however, relevant information in determining residentiary intent. Furthermore, if both a husband and his wife are legal residents of North Carolina and if one of them has been a legal resident longer than the other, then the longer duration may be claimed by either spouse in meeting the twelve-month requirement for in-state tuition status.

MILITARY PERSONNEL. A North Carolinian who serves outside the State in the armed forces does not lose North Carolina domicile simply by reason of such service. And students from the military may prove retention or establishment of residence by reference, as in other cases, to residentiary act accompanied by residentiary intent.

GRACE PERIOD. If a person (1) has been a bona fide legal resident, (2) has consequently been classified a resident for tuition purposes, and (3) has subsequently lost North Carolina legal residence while enrolled at a public institution of higher education, that person may continue to enjoy the in-state tuition rate for a grace period of twelve months measured from the date on which North Carolina legal residence was lost. If the twelve months end during an academic term for which the person is enrolled at a State institution of higher education, the grace period extends, in addition, to the end of that term. The fact of marriage to one who continues domiciled outside North Carolina does not by itself cause loss of legal residence, marking the beginning of the grace period.

MINORS. Minors (persons under 18 years of age) usually have the domicile of their parents, but the residence classification statute in determining residence for tuition purposes recognizes certain special cases.

  • If a minor’s parents live apart, the minor’s domicile is deemed to be North Carolina for the time period(s) that either parent, as a North Carolina legal resident, may claim and does claim the minor as a tax dependent, even if other law of judicial act assigns the minor’s domicile outside North Carolina. A minor thus deemed to be a legal resident will not, upon achieving majority before enrolling at an institution of higher education, lose North Carolina legal residence if that person (1) upon becoming an adult “acts, to the extent that the person’s degree of actual emancipation permits, in a manner consistent with bona fide legal residence in North Carolina” and (2) “begins enrollment at an institution of higher education not later than the fall academic term next following completion of education prerequisite to admission at such institution.”
  • If a minor has lived for five or more consecutive years with relatives (other than parents) who are domiciled in North Carolina and if the relatives have functioned during this time as if they were personal guardians, the minor will be deemed a resident for tuition purposes for an enrolled term commencing immediately after at least five years in which these circumstances have existed: If under this consideration a minor is deemed to be a resident for tuition purposes immediately prior to his or her eighteenth birthday, that person on achieving majority will be deemed a legal resident of North Carolina of at least 12 months duration. This provision acts to confer in-state tuition status even in the face of other provisions of law to the contrary; however, a person deemed a resident of 12 months duration pursuant to this provision continues to be a legal resident of the State only so long as he or she does not abandon North Carolina domicile.

LOST BUT REGAINED DOMICILE. If a student ceases enrollment at or graduates from an institution of higher education while classified a resident for tuition purposes and then both abandons and reacquires North Carolina domicile within a 12-month period, the person, if he or she continues to maintain the reacquired domicile into re-enrollment at an institution of higher education, may re-enroll at the in-state tuition rate without having to meet the usual 12-month durational requirement. However, any one person may receive the benefit of this provision only once.

CHANGE OF STATUS. A student admitted to initial enrollment in an institution (or permitted to re-enroll following an absence from the institutional program which involved a formal withdrawal from enrollment) must be classified by the admitting institution either as a resident or as a non-resident for tuition purposes prior to actual enrollment. A residence status classification once assigned (and finalized pursuant to any appeal properly taken) may be changed thereafter (with corresponding change in billing rates) only at intervals corresponding with the established primary divisions of the academic year.

TRANSFER STUDENTS. When a student transfers from one North Carolina public institution of higher education to another, he or she is treated as a new student by the institution to which he or she is transferring and must be assigned an initial residence status classification for tuition purposes.