Admissions & Aid
Admissions & Aid
UNCP Home Admissions & Aid New Student and Family Orientation Frequently Asked Questions
  • A
  • A

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. If applicable, must I attend the Freshman Welcome Program? Yes! The events during this program are designed to allow you an opportunity to make new friends by acquainting yourself with other entering freshmen. In addition, you will meet orientation leaders, faculty and staff, while learning what the University can do for you (Program to take place in August before the beginning of classes).
  2. Will campus housing be available for my New Student Orientation Session? For Freshman students, housing will be available because all of our sessions are overnight sessions.
  3. What if I have a disability? If you are a student with a disability and are requesting accommodations for a New Student Orientation Session, please contact Accessbility Resource Center (ARC) at 910.521.6695.
  4. What is your campus illegal drug and alcohol policy? You can review the complete University drug policy at
  5. What if I have not chosen a major? Our Career Center has a variety of resources to help you choose a major, including inventories to assess your interests/abilities and an extensive career library where you can research majors and careers. In addition, your first two years of general education studies cover many disciplines and it is possible that you will find an interest while completing these requirements.
  6. After I declare a major, can I change it later? Yes. The Office of the Registrar can assist you with a major change.
  7. What is a good course load to take? Most classes are three semester hours. So if you have five classes that are each three semester hours, you will have a course load of fifteen hours. Twelve hours or more is considered full-time. Consult with your advisor about what would be a good course load for you. Take into consideration other obligations you may have such as athletics, jobs, or clubs. Please note: to graduate in four years, students need to earn thirty semester hours per year by taking fifteen semester hours.
  8. What if I don't get the classes I want my first semester? As your classification grows, freshman, sophomore, etc., your priority during pre-registration also grows. If you don't get all the classes you want your first semester, you should be able to select them over the next few registrations.
  9. What if I need tutoring? Contact the Academic Support Center.
  10. Who are the best instructors? All of our professors are great with a variety of personalities and teaching styles. However, you can rest assured that your success is their main concern.
  11. What if I want to change my roommate? There is a grace period at the beginning of each semester before a room change can be made. This period allows time for roommates to make a good faith effort to resolve differences and for the University to assess its housing needs. You should contact the resident administrator of your facility to begin the process. You may also contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life.
  12. What if I don't want to be around alcohol in the resident halls? You can request an assignment in an alcohol free environment. The Housing Office will honor your request as long as space permits.
  13. What if I want to study abroad? Students interested in studying abroad should contact the Office of International Programs at 910-775-4095.
  14. Can I get a room on campus after my freshman year? The University has built additional housing the past few years to accommodate new and returning students. A residential student that participates in the room selection process held during the spring semester will be guaranteed on campus housing for next year.
  15. What is there to do on campus? We have the Distinguished Speaker Series and Broadway productions at the Givens Performing Arts Center. We have more than 100 clubs and organizations including sororities, fraternities, and honor organizations. There are activities and cookouts sponsored by the Association of Campus Entertainment (ACE). You can also get involved in intramural sports, yearbook, student newspaper, Student Life, etc. You may also contact the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership.
  16. If I am interested in Greek Life, when can I begin the new member process? In an effort to fully advance fraternal values at The University of North Carolina at Pembroke, incoming freshmen will be eligible for the pursuit of fraternal membership beginning their first semester as a full-time student. Please keep in mind that many Inter/National organizations require a minimum number of earned college credits, certain grade point average, dedicated campus involvement in non-Greek organizations, and a proven commitment to values.
  17. Do you offer a payment plan? AMS Tuition Payment Plan is a monthly installment tuition payment plan for tuition, fees, room, board and health insurance only. The plan requires a small enrollment fee. You can receive information regarding this plan by visiting Student Accounts or by calling them at 800-949-8627.
  18. Can freshman students drive cars on campus? Yes, freshman students can drive a vehicle on campus as long as they purchase the correct parking permit. Please visit the Web site for Police and Public Safety.
  19. What if I don't have a car and I need to shop off campus? Approximately once per week the campus has a shuttle service to the Wal-Mart located in Pembroke. You can view the schedule at

If you have questions, contact New Student Orientation at or 910.521.6662.