2016-17 Financial Aid Verification Procedures
What is Verification?
Verification is the process used to check the accuracy of the information that a student gives when applying for financial aid. Verification procedures are governed by the Higher Education act of 1965, as amended and Subpart E of 34CFR Part 608.”Verification of Student Aid Application Information” regulations are published in the Federal Register dated on March 14, 1986, and August 15, 1986.
The selection of an application by the U.S. Department of Education does not mean that they believe your information is incorrect. Some applications are selected for review on a random basis. Applications are also selected upon a set of common edits that check data for consistency and logic. In some cases, data is checked against the Social Security Administration and the Veterans Administration to ensure that these benefits are being reported correctly. Finally, data is submitted to the U.S. Department of Education. Until the verification process is complete, no Federal Funds may be awarded or disbursed. If the student is seeking a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan, Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, or a Federal Direct PLUS Loan and is selected for verification, the application cannot be processed until verification is completed.
Important Changes Regarding the Financial Aid Verification Process
UNC-Pembroke Office of Financial Aid has partnered with the CFI School Servicing Center to streamline the Verification Process for our students. Should you be chosen for Verification, you will receive email correspondence from the School Servicing Center. Check the email address provided to FAFSA for emails from email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with instructions on what you need to do to complete the process. You are only asked for information we need from you. Please follow the instructions carefully. Complete most of your Verification my using the Online Verification Interview on the "Student" tab at www.sscwp.org.
Some helpful tips from the School Servicing Center...
- Read the FAQ's and Helpful Tips and Links about verification under the "Student " tab at www.sscwp.org if you have any questions.
- You can track your Verification status on www.sscwp.org. SSC will notify you when the process is complete.
- Sign up to receive text alerts from the School Servicing Center to help track your Verification Status. Please remember that message at data rates may apply.
- Finally, DON'T DELAY! The faster you respond to requests from SSC, the faster you complete verification and the faster your financial aid can be awarded.
- SSC Contact Information
- Toll-Free Phone: 855-328-4400
- Toll-Free Fax: 866-258-8362
What Information Will the Family Need to Provide?
The family will have to provide documents or related materials requested by the School Servicing Center.
Completion of Verification Process
When the verification review is completed you may receive one of more of the following:
- An award confirming your financial aid awards,
- A letter indicating the reason you are not eligible for financial aid
- A letter that lists any other applicable information, or
- A new Student Aid Report reflecting changes that we have made to your application electronically as a result of verification. Once you have received the SAR, please review it for accuracy.
The Process is Completed When the Applicant Has:
- Submitted all requested documents to the UNCP Financial Aid Office and
- All necessary corrections are on file with the Central Processor.
Verification Worksheets (PDF) (Not to be used for School Servicing Center Verification)
These forms are accessible here.