The Basics of Biodiesel Production
What is Biodiesel?
Biodiesel is a domestically produced, renewable resource that can be synthesized from a variety of natural feedstock oils. It is a clean burning alternative to diesel fuel that can be used to reduce the amount of harmful greenhouse gas emissions. At the same time it is also non-toxic and readily biodegradable: a characteristic that is vitally important to the ecosystem in the event of another spill, like those in recent years.
- replacing the need for diesel fuel without modification to diesel engines
- can be used in conjunction with petroleum diesel fuel – 80/20 blends
- reducing dependence on petroleum and petroleum based products
- better lubricity than diesel for better engine function
- substituting propane tanks used for central warming units in homes and businesses
- used to warm water (gas run hot water heaters)
- clean-burning fuel- limiting harmful emissions that cause respiratory conditions