The 2017 Update emphasizes understanding and implementing recent GASB Statements (e.g., 73, 74, 75, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, and 85) and Exposure Drafts, including those on leases and certain debt extinguishment issues. The Invitation to Comment on Financial Reporting Model Improvements and selected GASB Implementation Guide issues—including those on OPEB—are analyzed, and recent and proposed SLG-related audit standards and guidance are reviewed.
This one-day seminar emphasizes the newest pronouncements of the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), in particular, and relevant recent guidance of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB), and others (e.g., other Federal agencies) that affect state and local government accounting, financial reporting, and auditing—as well as upcoming changes apt to affect them in the near future. Topics of interest to both accountants and auditors are emphasized.
After attending this 1-day seminar, you should be able to:
- Have confidence you are aware of—and understand—the essence of the latest developments affecting state and local government (SLG) accounting, financial reporting, and auditing.
- Recognize when a potential problem or application issue exists—and be able to research the situation and identify possible solutions.
- Use the detailed course reference manual for research or refresher purposes.
- Be ahead of the curve in terms of implementing—or planning to implement—new standards, such as GASB Statements, selected recent GASB Implementation Guide Questions and Answers (Q&A), and any recent and proposed SLG-related AICPA, OMB, GAO, or other authoritative guidance.
- Recommend this seminar to a colleague, friend, or acquaintance.