The North Carolina Legislature directed the Board of Governors to impose a fifty percent tuition surcharge on students who take more than 140 credit hours to complete a baccalaureate degree in a four-year program or more than one hundred ten percent (110%) of the credit hours necessary to complete a baccalaureate degree in any program officially designated by the Board of Governors as a five-year program. The calculation of these credit hours taken at a constituent institution or accepted for transfer shall exclude hours earned through the College Board’s Advanced Placement or CLEP examinations, through institutional advanced placement or course validation, or through summer term or extension programs.
No surcharge shall be imposed on any student who exceeds the degree credit hour limits within the equivalent of four academic years of regular term enrollment, or within five academic years of regular term enrollment in a degree program officially designated by the Board of Governors as a five-year program.
The undergraduate credit hours to be counted for calculation in the surcharge requirement include:
* all regular session degree-creditable courses taken at this institution including repeated courses, failed courses and those dropped after your official census date (normally the last date to add a course); and
* all transfer credit hours accepted by this institution.
The hours excluded from the calculation include:
1) those earned through the College Board’s Advanced Placement (AP) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or similar programs;
2) those earned through institutional advanced placement, course validation, or any similar procedure for awarding course credit, and
3) those earned through the summer session or degree-credit extension division on this campus or at another UNC institution.
The form to request a waiver of tuition surcharge can be found on the Forms Page and then select the Request for Waiver of Tuition Surcharge.