2014-2015 Common Read Experience FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What is the Common Reading Experience?
- UNCP’s Common Reading Experience is intentionally designed to provide first-year students with the opportunity to have a shared academic experience that allows students to make a connection before arriving on campus. The Common Reading Experience supports Goal 1.7 of the UNCP Strategic Plan: Ensure a robust campus experience for students by providing diverse and engaging activities through programming, athletics and cultural events.
2. How will the book be used?
- Programs related to the book’s themes and topics will be hosted throughout your first year at UNC Pembroke. Events may include films, lectures, discussion groups, and much more. Additionally, the book is a required text for Freshmen Seminar. Other classes may adopt the book as well, but that is at the discretion of the faculty member.
3. Is participation required?
- Yes. In your Freshmen Seminar course you will be expected to have read and be able to have dialogue about the book. Additional events about the book are strongly encouraged but not required. However, faculty could assign the events as assignments.
4. How do I get a copy?
- The University Bookstore will stock the book. You may also opt to purchase it elsewhere if you prefer.
5. How is the book selected?
- Recommendations are solicited from students, faculty and staff. They are then reviewed by the Common Reading Experience Committee, made up of faculty, staff and students. The committee narrows the list down to two finalists, which are read over winter break. In early spring the committee meets to finalize the selection.