- Descriptive Summary
- Administrative Information
- Access Restrictions
- Copyright Notice
- Preferred Citation
- Acquisitions Information
- Processing Information
- Historical Sketch of UNCP
- Document Overview
- Online Catalog Headings
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.
Repository: University of North Carolina at Pembroke. Mary Livermore Library. Archives.
Title: UNCP College Yearbooks
Creator: University of North Carolina at Pembroke
Abstract: College Yearbooks
The yearbooks normally contain individual pictures of the college administration and the members of the senior class; group pictures of the lower-level classes and the various organizations; pictures of the campus buildings and significant activities; sometimes there are pages of advertisements for businesses in the surrounding area (Pembroke, Red Springs, Maxton, Lumberton, etc).
Extent: v. :ill., cm. (size varies)
The materials available on this web site are for research use only. Publication and/or broadcast in any form, whether print or electronic, requires written permission from the Mary Livermore Library.
For purposes of private study, scholarship, and research, materials from this web site may be reproduced without prior permission. When citing materials, please provide proper documentation of source.
The copyright law of the United States governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy is not to be "used for any other purpose than private study, scholarship, or research."
If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
On March 7, 1887, the General Assembly of North Carolina enacted legislation that created the Croatan Normal School, founded to train Native American public school teachers. Local people constructed a building at a site approximately one mile west of the present location. The school opened with 15 students and one teacher in the fall of 1887. The school moved to its present location in Pembroke, the center of the Indian community, in 1909. The General Assembly changed the name of the institution in 1911 to the Indian Normal School of Robeson County, and again in 1913 to the Cherokee Indian Normal School of Robeson County.
For many years, the instruction was at the elementary and secondary school level, but in 1926, the Board of Trustees added a two-year normal program beyond high school and phased out the elementary school instruction. The first diplomas from the "normal" school were awarded in 1928, when the state accredited the school as a "standard normal school." Additional college classes were offered in 1931, and, in 1939, a fourth year was added, with the first four-year degrees conferred in 1940. In recognition of the school's new status, the General Assembly changed the name of the school in 1941 to Pembroke State College for Indians. Until 1953, it was the only state-supported, four-year college for Indians in the nation.
The scope of the institution was widened in 1942 when non-teaching degrees were added, and, in 1945, when enrollment, previously limited to the Indians of Robeson County, was opened to all federally-recognized Indian groups. A few years later, in 1949, the General Assembly shortened the name to Pembroke State College.
In 1953, the Board of Trustees approved the admission of white students up to 40 percent of the total enrollment, and, following the Supreme Court's school desegregation decision in 1954, opened the college to all qualified applicants regardless of race.
In 1969, the General Assembly made the institution a regional university and changed the name again to Pembroke State University. Three years later, in 1972, the General Assembly established the 16-campus University of North Carolina with Pembroke State University as one of the constitutient institutions. In 1978, the Board of Governors approved the implementation of master's programs and several new undergraduate programs at Pembroke State University. Over time, additional baccalaureate and master's level programs were added.
The institution celebrated its centennial in 1987, and, on July 1, 1996, Pembroke State University officially became The University of North Carolina at Pembroke.
Even though the institution was founded in 1887, the first college yearbook was not published until 1942, fifty-five years later and the middle of WWII. The next yearbook was not published until 1946, after the War ended. The 1942 yearbook was entitled The Lumbee Tattler. For the 1946 edition, the name was changed to The Indianhead and has remained the same since then. The yearbooks contain the basic items found in most yearbooks: pictures of students in the different classes and various extra-curricular organizations; a senior class prophecy; and advertisements for local businesses.
These and related materials may be found under the following subject headings in the Mary Livermore Library's online catalog.
Cherokee Indian Normal School--Yearbooks.
Cherokee Indian Normal School--Students--Yearbooks.
Cherokee Indian Normal School--Periodicals.
Pembroke State College--Yearbooks.
Pembroke State College--Students--Yearbooks.
Pembroke State College--Periodicals.
Pembroke State University--Yearbooks.
Pembroke State University--Students--Yearbooks.
Pembroke State University--Periodicals.
University of North Carolina at Pembroke--Yearbooks.
University of North Carolina at Pembroke--Students--Yearbooks.
University of North Carolina at Pembroke--Periodicals.