Reference FAQ

Welcome to Mary Livermore Library. This set of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) will answer some of your immediate concerns. If not, please do not hesitate to contact the Reference Desk for assistance at 910.521.6656 or

Question: What days and times is the Library open?
Answer: As a general rule the Library is open Monday – Thursday 7:30 a.m. to midnight, Friday 7:30 a.m. – 11:00 p.m., Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m., and Sunday 2:00 p.m. – midnight. Exceptions to these hours are holidays or when classes are not in session. The hours are posted at the door and

Question: Why do I need a Library account?
Answer: A Library account allows you to check out books and videos, to place a hold on materials using BraveCat, to request materials from Fayetteville State University (FSU) or The University of North Carolina Wilmington (UNCW), to use the libraries of the UNC system, and to use electronic resources from off campus. Your Library account is different from your campus computer login/e-mail account and your BraveWeb account. Because you have an University e-mail account or BraveWeb account does not mean you have a Library account. More information about Library accounts is available at

Question: I am trying to access my library record (or an electronic resource), but I keep getting a message "Sorry, cannot locate patron record."
Answer: If you get the message, “Sorry, cannot locate patron record” there are several solutions: 1) Are you a new student to UNCP? Because you have an University e-mail account and BraveWeb account does not mean you also have a Library account. You may need to fill out an application at the Library or fill out an online application at to establish a Library account. 2) Did you type your University ID number correctly? Your University ID number is a “P” plus your Social Security Number (p123456789). If you forget the “p” or transpose numbers in your ID, you will get the message “Sorry, cannot locate patron record". 3) Have you tried both of your names in the log in box? Sometimes names will are entered into the Library system incorrectly. 4) You may have mistyped your PIN or forgotten your PIN. Try to remember what PIN you used in your Library account. If you cannot recall your PIN, contact the Circulation Desk at 910.521.6516 or and your PIN will be deleted from your record. You will then be able to create a new PIN at 5) If you see any other message or need assistance contact the Reference Desk at 910.521.6656 or

Question: My instructor has some articles on electronic reserve, how do I access them?
Answer: Step-by-step instructions are available on the Course Reserve page by clicking the Services for Students link.

Question: I am trying to find books? Where do I start?
Answer: BraveCat is the Library’s online catalog. Click the BraveCat link on the Library’s homepage and then click Search BraveCat. Select the type of search you wish to perform. After performing your search you will get a list of titles. Click the title to see the book’s call number and location. If the book you want is checked out, you can place a hold on that book so when the book is returned you will be contacted and can check the book out. To place a hold on a book, you will need to be in the BraveCat record for that book and then click the Hold Item button. You will then need to enter your Library account information (Name, University ID and PIN).
If you need a book sooner, you can check to see of UNCW or FSU has the item and request it from them by clicking the Hold Item button. The item will be sent to the Library for you to pick up. This process may take 3 to 5 working days.
If you want a book not owned by UNCP, FSU, or UNCW, you can use interlibrary loan to borrow books from libraries all over the United States. Assistance with using BraveCat and interlibrary loan is available at the Reference Desk by phone at 910.521.6656 or by e-mail at

Question: I am trying to find articles from magazines, newspapers, and journals? Where do I start?
Answer: The best way to start your research is to contact a reference librarian at the Reference Desk at 910.521.6656 or at

The easiest way to find articles is to go to the main library page, and click the Electronic Resources link then click the Database Subject link and choose the subject area that is related to your topic. Once you choose a subject page you will see a series of links to databases, both subject-specific as well as general in subject coverage. A good place to begin your research is by using the database Academic Search Premier, which is a very useful multi-discipline research database.
Some databases will provide full time articles as well as the article citation. If an article is not full text, the citation provides important bibliographic information needed to locate the article. Most databases provide a link to the Journal Title List, tool that helps location the article in print or full text in another database, at the bottom of each citation. If you do not see a link to the Journal Title List, it is available at Type the journal name in the Journal Finder search box and click Search to determine if the Library has print or full text access to the journal. If the article is not located in the Library or available full text, then the article can be obtained from another library using interlibrary loan. Contact the Reference Desk at 910.521.6656 or by e-mail at if you need assistance.

Question: Where is the link for interlibrary loan?
Answer: Interlibrary loan is now part of the Document Delivery service offered by the Library. Click the Document Delivery link on the Library's homepage and then click Request Items Now to request materials from other libraries. More information about Document Delivery and the interlibrary loan process is available at