Social Work


The Department of Social Work offers minor options in subtance abuse and social welfare. To enroll in any minor course the student must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.0. Students interested in declaring a minor in either option should schedule an appointment to declare the minor and to receive initial advising toward the minor. Please contact the Department of Social Work to schedule an appointment. 

Minor in Substance Abuse

A minor in substance abuse requires the completion of 20-21 hours in the following two areas:

  1. Required Courses (12 hours):
    • SAB/CRJ 2830 or SWK 3800 (3 hours)
    • SAB 3770 (3 hours)
    • SAB 4550 (3 hours)                                               
    • SOC 3780 or SAB 4610 (3 hours)
  2. Elective Courses (8-9 hours) chosen from: CRJ/SOC 3670, CRJ/SWK 3500, SAB/SWK 2700, SOC 2090, SOC 3030, SWK 2450, and SOC 3790

Minor in Social Welfare 

Students who are not majoring in social work may choose to minor in social welfare. A minor in social welfare requires the completion of 18 hours in the following two areas:

  1. Required courses (9 hours):
    • SWK 2000 (3 hours)
    • SWK 2450 (3 hours)
    • SWK 3480 (3 hours)
  2. Nine (9) hours chosen from any social work elective course (does not include SWK 3710, 3800, or other junior/senior level core social work courses)

*Up to six minor hours may be used to satisfy other major or minor requirements, or University General Education Requirements.

Updated: Wednesday, April 6, 2016