Protecting Your Psychological Health
Maintain Mental Health
- Develop a support network of friends.
- If you have concerns about your study habits, ability to take tests or managing your coursework, talk with teachers, counselors, family, and friends for advice and support.
- Visit the health center, and discuss concerns with a health professional. If the health professional advises treatment, follow instructions. Watch out for side effects, and attend follow-up appointments to assess improvement.
Fight Fatigue and Sleep Deprivation
- Avoid simulants like caffeine and nicotine.
- Have a good sleeping environment. Get rid of anything that might distract you from sleep, such as noises or bright lights.
- Stick to a sleep schedule. Go to bed and wake up at the same time each day, even on the weekends.
- See your health provider if you continue to have trouble sleeping.
- Avoid pulling an all-nighter to study.
Get Physical Activity
- Stay active. Regular physical activity can help keep your thinking, learning, and judgment skills sharp. It can also reduce your risk of depression and may help you sleep better.
Eat a Balanced Diet
- Talk with a nutritionist or dietician at a health clinic on campus or in the community about improving your diet.
- If you or someone you know is showing signs of an eating disorder, get help. Find a friend to go with you or offer to go with a friend to talk to a counselor or doctor who knows about eating disorders.
Avoid Substance Abuse
- Access healthy activities and safe places on campus to meet friends.
- Avoid second-hand smoke.
- Don’t drive after drinking or using drugs.
Have Healthy Relationships
- Avoid relationships with those who drink heavily or use drugs, act aggressively, or treat you disrespectfully.
- If anything in your relationship makes your feel uncomfortable, talk to someone you can trust.
Adapted from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, College Health and Safety
Community Resources: Psychological Health
UNCP Counseling and Psychological Services- 910-521-6202
UNCP Student Health Services- 910-521-6219
Southeastern Regional Medical Center (Lumberton, NC)- 1-800-672-8255