Health, Physical Education and Recreation
Health, Physical Education and Recreation

Graduate School Admission Guidelines and Requirements

All students seeking to enroll in any graduate class must be admitted to the School of Graduate Studies. Click on the following related headings for additional information: International Students, UNCEP(Exchange Program). To be considered for full or provisional admission to a degree program, an applicant must:

1) submit a completed application form to the School of Graduate Studies

2) pay $45.00 non‑refundable or $60.00 non-refundable for International applicants application fee. Send by mail to the Graduate Office (address appears below), call in to the Cashier's Office with credit card--910-521-6206 or cash in person in the Graduate School.

3) submit one official transcript from all colleges/universities attended to the School of Graduate Studies (address below); these transcripts must indicate the date that the applicant’s baccalaureate degree was awarded

4) have a satisfactory undergraduate academic record and meet at least one of the following minimum GPA (4.0 scale) requirements: Must have an overall GPA of at least a 2.5 on all undergraduate work, or an overall GPA of at least a 3.0 in the undergraduate major, or a GPA of at least a 3.0 on all undergraduate work taken in the senior year

5) submit an official report of satisfactory scores on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT), the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), or the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) {required for M.B.A.} *Scores must be no older than five years at the time of submitting an application. See additional information at Entrance Exams.

6) have three recommendations submitted on their behalf.  At least one recommendation should be from a college/university faculty member in the undergraduate major of the applicant; others should be from the applicant’s employer/supervisor.

7) submit a copy of a current NC teaching license if applying to the M.S.A., M.A.Ed., or an M.A. licensure program.

Some programs require additional components or specific minimum scores. Check to see if there are additional, program-specific requirements for the program to which you are applying.

International Students

In addition to items listed above, international students must provide:

A transcript evaluation from either World Education Service or International Education Services
Official TOEFL or ILSET scores unless undergraduate degree from an English-based institution. TOFLE minimum required score is 550, or 213 if computer-based, or 80 for Internet-based for all programs except English Education which requires 570/230/88. I
6. Financial Verification forms (PDF - requires Adobe Reader)

Visiting Students

The application process for students who are enrolled in a graduate program at another institution and wish to take courses at UNCP to transfer back to their degree-granting institution requires:

  1. A completed application and application fee
  2. A letter from your Dean or Program Director stating that you are in good-standing and authorized to enroll at UNC Pembroke to earn transfer credit. The letter should also state the specific UNCP course to be taken. Please submit this letter to:

Dr. Sara Simmons, Acting Dean
School of Graduate Studies
UNC Pembroke
P.O. Box 1510
Pembroke, NC 28372